New Nickname?
November 21st, 2017 by Jeffrey Lubeck

In my book, Flip is a cool name.  Originally to call someone “flip” was meant as a slur or disrespect.  But then came Flip Wilson  and Flipper – cool… extremely cool.  The late Flip Saunders was a winner and a good man!  It is fascinating (to me at-least) how names and phrases change meaning over time.  Yet, for example, the original meaning for Dakich ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ is “one who is insightful, and brilliant in mind and word.”  This definition appears to remain true today as well.  Would not everyone agree?

If the MSU Spartans beat Rutgers in football this weekend the team will have flipped its record from last year 3-9 to 9-3.  The leader of the effort is a guy named Mark Dantonio.  If MSU wins, should MD get a new nickname of “Flip”?  And if Mark’s counter-part in Ann Arbor loses to the Acorns should he be knicknamed “Flip-flop.” ?

In the end I will defer to TUS resident Knicknameologist; USMC(retired).  However I thought general membership might want to weigh on the matter?

Note: Wilson was misnamed Nelson in an earlier version.  All printed editions of this post are to be burned.

November 21st, 20176:24 pmat

Well, If General Membership is involved, I may have to politely defer, BUT when I read the email announcing this post (which of course isn’t fully developed) I though that perhaps Md may need a new callsign that he has definitely earned – ‘Flip’ has a subtle allure to it! It really could NOT the verb ‘Flipper’ (meaning he who flipped the seasonal records) as that is and shall ever be associated with the dolphin pictured above. I just don’t know how long ‘Flip’ will last, howsomever. As we will end the year @10-3 after the win in a Bowl.

Hardassisn should just be FLOP

November 22nd, 20177:46 amat

I have read that the role of Flipper was played by 5 different Bottle-nosed porpoises – with Nancy being the primary performer.

November 22nd, 20177:49 amat

After three years of no regular or post season B1G titles in football, Wolverines and WallMart Wolverines may inclined to agree!

November 21st, 20177:35 pmat

I still contend that Dakich is a mis-pronunciation of Jock Itch. Now if that condition leads to “insightful and brilliant” what can I say other than I have never found it so. Just annoying like the mis-pronunciation.

November 21st, 20177:39 pmat

In case anyone is still interested. The answer to the question is Yes conditions were as miserable as they appeared on the Telly. As for the game play, there is nothing I can add to what has already been said.

November 22nd, 20173:45 amat

Thanks for the report GoB. It just didn’t look like a fun spectator afternoon/evening

• NorthForkRancher writes:
    November 21st, 20179:12 pmat

Who is Flip Nelson??

I remember a comedian named Flip Wilson, who is pictured next to Flipper, above.

November 22nd, 20173:45 amat

Geraldine was a hoot

Wilson dies in ’98, liver Cancer

November 22nd, 20177:40 amat

Typing and not thinking or checking! Thanks will correct!

November 22nd, 20178:01 amat

That would be the magic of pictures: I read through your original post and SAW WILSON where you had Nelson because of the picture of him.

November 22nd, 201711:42 amat

Tom, today on the national radio news at the top of the hour, they claimed that Larry Nassar was associated with Michigan, not MSU… weird how that name recognition works. Nelson = Wilson, Michigan = MSU.

I always thought those that knew Coach D from the past nicknamed him “Dino”…

Hairball = Loser. Bwahahahaha!!!!

November 22nd, 201712:15 pmat

ah ha ha ha. that’s hilarious. perhaps if anyone asks me about him, I can claim ignorance and say he worked at SCum. on that point, I have heard a few rumblings from penn state people comparing him to Sandusky. no comparison. we got rid of nassar pronto and PSU kept Sandusky around for years after his dirty secret was out.

November 22nd, 20172:50 pmat

Let us please not call Dantonio “Flip”. Among other things, that would imply flipping back to 3-9 in 2018.

Calling Harbaugh either “Flop” or “Flip-Flop” would be a premature ejaculation. Judging him by his third year is like judging Dantonio by his third year: A 6-7 record and the lack of leadership evidenced by the Rather Hall scandal. Should Harbaugh bolt to the NFL instead of staying in A.A. for a fourth year, we will rightfully call him worse things than “Flop”. Otherwise, we have to wait for 2018 to at least kick off.

Remember: Those that laugh last, laugh best.

Happy Thanksgiving, TUS!!!

November 22nd, 20175:17 pmat

Premature ejaculation? I would have said ED, an inability to get up for big games.

November 23rd, 20176:12 amat

Much better BoG, calling someone a premature ejaculate is just not in keeping with the high standards of name calling set over previous generations – ED is perfect because it’s an inside joke that must be explain to outsiders

Hardassian shall now and forever be ED. (if I can remember that later today)

November 23rd, 201711:03 pmat

I’m not sure anyone back east is up late watching the game, but that was not a good first half as we sleep walked through it just like Stony Brook.

The ONLY bright spot was McQ hitting 3, 3 balls. Winston and Langford are half awake and Ward road the pine when he picked up two quick, early fouls; a bounch of Spartans with 2. At least 10 TOs and DePaul was in the bonus with 9 minutes to go in the half.

November 24th, 201712:03 amat

MSU flipped it in the second half by cleaning up the turnovers, rebounding much better, McQ hitting more threes (Matt was the toughest guy on the court) and outscoring DePaul 42 – 20 to close out the game with a 73 -51 win.

Midnight tip EST against UCONN.

November 24th, 20176:09 amat

Thanks for the update, I got up once in the night to check the score (Ahem), and they were down in the beginning of the 2nd Glad they pulled it out. After being enthralled with Daughter and Granddaughter dancing in the Nutcracker, I think another late night Ahem will be the only way for me to even see the score

That Said, the MLive crew said UConn is NOT the UConn we are used to seeing