Can the Remarkable Run Continue?: MSU Softball 2017 BTT
May 13th, 2017 by Jeffrey Lubeck

The Michigan State Softball team is playing at a level not seen in East Lansing in well over a decade; 13 years in fact.  In 2004 MSU and Head Coach Jacquie Joseph were considered one of the top programs in the B1G Conference if not the region.  In 2004 MSU would win the BTT and advance to the NCAA Regionals.  The advance to the NCAA Regionals would be MSU’s 4th in Joseph’s 10 years on the Job.  MSU Athletics could walk with their head held high because it had big-time coaches in Izzo, Slobodnik, and Joseph – all making a run on the field of play with little noise off it.  Joseph’s record in this period was a bit up-and-down from season to season, but a 40+ win records were common.

And then things changed.  Starting in 2008 the magic seemed to disappear and until this season MSU did not finish with a winning record. There is quite a bit that could be discussed as for the reasons.  But that would be wasted energy.  Why?  The 2017 team sits at 33-21, is playing in the BTT Semi Final and looks like a team that can stick together when the going gets tough.  If the last month is an indication, MSU fans should like the odds of its team beating two higher ranked opponents and taking the BTT crown.  Before tak8ing the first two games of the BTT, MSU won its last three B1G series match ups – including its next opponent Ohio State.  Can MSU do the unthinkable and beat tOSU and then send B1G Softball Titan Minnesota home as well?

Similar to the Women’s Golf team, the Softball team is playing terrific ball but not appearing to be anywhere over its head.
Thoughts?

BTT Semi Final  #1 Minnesota versus #4 Illinois: 1:00 PM (EDT) BTN.

BTT Semi Final  #3 Ohio State versus #7 MSU: 3:30 PM (EDT) BTN.

BTT Final  #1/#4 Winner versus #3/#7 Winner: 6:00 PM (EDT) BTN.

• Jeff’s Worthless Trivia and Other Thoughts
  • Coach Joseph says this his her best offensive team ever.  MSU has only one (of its 11 available position players on the roster) batting under .270.  Seven are batting over .300.  Five of those players have hit 8 or more HR’s in 40+ games played this season.
  • MSU does have a wonderful offense.  However, I am more impressed that part of the offensive skill-set includes earning walks and not swinging and bad pitches.  I think we won the last two in great part because of discipline at the plate.
  • MSU took 2 out of 3 from OSU, was swept by Illinois 0-3, and did not play Minnesota.
  • In the UofM game Joseph has 3B Kaitlyn Eveland pull up so close (for the possible bunt) it looked like she was practically in the batters box.  The skunkbears chose not to bunt, but instead tried to slap in right-into Eveland face.  Brutal!

May 13th, 20179:38 amat

I don’t have any problem with the Rodents trying to slap it at Eveland, it threw them into a tizzy that continued with the theatrics of the entitled pitcher. When pitchers in either sport complain like this little muffin top, to me it means that they are truly entitled individuals and how dare anyone not agree with them. (if you can’t adjust to the umpire, you are just not a very good pitcher has been an adage that’s been around since the turn of the last Century)

May 13th, 201712:37 pmat

Taking in Illinois versus Minnesota…

Tied at 5 apiece in the 5th.

May 13th, 201712:17 pmat

Interesting: while watching Glad Glade bet beat by Towson in Lacrosse (not really a surprise to me) the color guy who has been called the ‘best coach in College Lacrosse’ insists that Towson is winning because all the players are on the same page and doing whatever is needed by the team to win (Row the Boat, ala WMU) I don’t think Bowen will help Spartan MBB do that next winter. His avowed desire is to be the focal point and that just doesn’t sound like the 3 Musketeers cry of ‘all for one and one for all’. AND, I think because of that avowed desire, he will go elsewhere.

May 13th, 201712:35 pmat

Drug fest on the Michigan Football team based on Peppers failed test @combine and still not signing his participation agreement for rookie camp – as soon as he signs it, he will fall into the NFL’s protocol for drug testing.

May 13th, 20171:11 pmat

That was an exiting win for sure. The game started at 2:30pm MDT so I had to record and watch it later. When we tied it in the 7th, I turned it off to watch the rest today. (Makes for better sleeping.)

Heard in the stands, “Nobody beats the Spartans 20 times in a row!”

Totally agree about Betsa, she was showing up the umpire the entire game, smirking and looking at the coaches every time she thought she made a good pitch. The Ump did a great job of not giving either team the low ball strike, especially since when I’ve watched Betsa, she eats batters up with her sinker and when the Ump gives her that low pitch, it just makes it damn near impossible to hit on her.

Kudos to Jackie Joseph for green lighting on 3-0 for the tie run.

Heading to my Mom’s today for Mother’s Day as her favorite restaurant isn’t open tomorrow, so will watch the MSU v. O$U game later after driving home from Sterling, CO.

GO GREEN !!!

May 13th, 20172:19 pmat

* Props to Jeff for predicting the win over the Gulos! I think having to play so much on the road [9 home; 24 away; 19 neutral-site] has helped make MSU Softball what it is now.

The GameTracker web page for the game is here:
    If the 7-seed Spartans beat the 3-seed Buckeyes, they will play top-seed Minnesota for the first time this season. Knocking off the B1G’s top three seeds in 30 hours would be a fine prelude to Mother’s Day.

* Elsewhere, Spartan baseball was handing caps to the B1G-leading Cornhuskers on their own field yesterday — winning 6-3. Saturday’s game is underway [BTN2Go]; it can be tracked online here:

* The B1G Outdoor Track are this weekend. The women were led today by Alexis Werisma in the 10k — or, as Jeff probably calls it, “the usual”:

* The Spartan Crew is in Indianapolis tomorrow morning for an abbreviated B1G Championship Meet:
    (I see I am not the only one that sometimes fails to close the ol’ boldface font…)

Go Green!

May 13th, 20173:39 pmat

“I want him and I want the public to know that I know where the shame and the guilt for this lies. It lies on him and not on me, and I am not afraid of the truth.” – Rachael Denhollander.

Take a moment to read the story [here].

While I understand most, if not all of us know the story and dread the the drag it has on an otherwise exciting and upbeat 21st century for MSU… Denhollander wants her story told. So she gets it here.

While Dr. Nassar is innocent until proven guilty and, his lawyer is crafting defenses that most certainly can create doubt, this story – if proven true – needs to be discussed. Why? Because of the almost blind trust we give medical professionals when they are “deemed” to be the sole difference maker in solving a chronic ailment.

The challenge is Dr. Nassar has been considered – for decades – to be the difference maker using revolutionary techniques. Now 12 individuals have come forward to claim these techniques are nothing short sexual abuse. Are these techniques simply misunderstood or are they a guise for sick individual?

Regardless, I hope that all of us can use this site to discuss the subject openly and honestly.

May 13th, 20174:09 pmat

I went to a quack – not knowing he was a quack – for 6 years suffering from ANGINA attacks that were sever – he thought, had me tested and treated for GURD. I finally went to the ER one day when the pain was just too excruciating and when that heart attack was finished and my muscle had calmed down enough they did a 5 way by-pass. I went back to the office once when I got home the following October to make sure he understood that I was dropping him as my doctor – there was not really a scene, but the 9 people in the waiting room all left when I did. He is no longer practicing at his previous location

May 13th, 20173:51 pmat

LEXOPHILIA – WHO ON EARTH DREAMS THESE UP?
    A lexophile of course!

• How does Moses make tea? Hebrews it.

• Venison for dinner again? Oh deer!

• A cartoonist was found dead in his home. Details are sketchy.

• I used to be a banker, but then I lost interest.

• Haunted French pancakes give me the crêpes.

• England has no kidney bank, but it does have a Liverpool.

• I tried to catch some fog, but I mist.

• They told me I had type-A blood, but it was a Typo.

• I changed my iPod’s name to Titanic. It’s syncing now.

• Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

• I know a guy who’s addicted to brake fluid, but he says he can stop any time.

• I stayed up all night to see where the sun went, and then it dawned on me.

• This girl said she recognized me from the vegetarian club, but I’d never met herbivore.

• When chemists die, they barium.

• I’m reading a book about anti-gravity. I just can’t put it down.

• I did a theatrical performance about puns. It was a play on words.

• Why were the Indians here first? They had reservations.

• I didn’t like my beard at first. Then it grew on me.

• Did you hear about the cross-eyed teacher who lost her job because she couldn’t control her pupils?

• When you get a bladder infection, urine trouble.

• Broken pencils are pointless.

• What do you call a dinosaur with an extensive vocabulary? A thesaurus.

• I dropped out of communism class because of lousy Marx.

• All the toilets in New York’s police stations have been stolen. The police have nothing to go on.

• I got a job at a bakery because I kneaded dough.

• Velcro – what a rip off!

• Don’t worry about old age; it doesn’t last

May 13th, 20174:06 pmat

They get a chuckle!

May 13th, 20174:10 pmat

I thought they were worth a groan or 2 on a sunny Saturday

BiG Ten is 0-2 as Duck shellacked JHU

May 13th, 20174:39 pmat

Spartans lose to the Acorns – season over

May 13th, 20174:42 pmat

Darn, darn, darn.

MSU falls short 4-3.

Spartans were good; putting runners on base and the ball into play. However, tOSU defense stopped rallies with multiple defensive gems each by Clark at 2nd and Kirk at 3rd.

May 13th, 20174:52 pmat

pouring rain here all day so I stayed inside and watched game. we had our chance with bases loaded in the 6th. whadda ya gonna do? we did our job yesterday.

May 13th, 20176:40 pmat

In a phone debrief with The Marine, he suggested something similar.

May 13th, 20175:11 pmat

Lyle is gone from the Acorns MBB team after a altercation with the booze, keys/car, and the police. I just found this an interesting end to the story:

Lyle signed with Oregon after attending Huntington but fell short of the academic requirements and eventually landed at Ohio State for two seasons. Matta will take anyone

May 13th, 20176:38 pmat

I still have 1 year of eligibility as a Graduate transfer from MSU/TUS Campus. Should I call Matta?

May 13th, 20177:20 pmat

Whit men can’t jump, except for that one guy (If you haven’t seen this, watch it – he is amazing some retired NBA Greats)

May 13th, 20179:08 pmat

Stan Weston, the Inventor of the GI Doll for Hasbro (1964) has passed away at age 84.

Your’s truly (and brother Randy) woke up on Easter Sunday 1964 to GI Joe’s and the entire support kit – including Foot Lockers. Over time, My Joe would be properly outfitted for Deep Sea and Outerspace endeavors. While too young to understand much of the racial challenges of the time, My Joe was involved in an inter-racial marriage to one of my Troll Girl Dolls – Moon Goon. They loved each other very much. Their first child became the youngest US Marine F-4 pilot in history (age 1).

May 14th, 20177:08 amat

Remember the difference between a USMC F-4 jockey and a Cactus! With the Cactus all the pricks are on the OUTSIDE

May 14th, 20177:26 amat
    May 14th, 20178:16 amat

Hey, Happy Mother’s Day to all you Mothers of TUS

May 14th, 20175:19 pmat

So Dubs come back from being down 20 to win it in the 4th.

Acorns and Md advance to the Quarterfinals. Md gets Albany which could end up 35-34. Acorns get Duck, could be close and low scoring

Tigers get 1 run for JV who only went 6 giving up 3, (The former closer came in the 8th and gave up a walk and struck out 2, but he walked a guy batting .185)

Woman fared as well as the men, advancing Md and Glade Glade to the Quarters

May 14th, 20177:26 pmat

Best game of the weekend is on the U right now – ‘Cuse leading the Eli by 1 middle of the 4th; Eli tie it up briefly and then ‘Cuse scored with a minute left to hold them off

May 14th, 20177:29 pmat

Yaks are getting killed 0-9 in the 5th – luv it when they lose

May 15th, 20177:38 amat

He Jefe`, did you get any SNOW?

May 15th, 201711:52 amat

esPn is changing SC again with the following note:”“SportsCenter” will continue to highlight “personality-driven” programming” – to me this is what caused them to fail. In the digital world of what have you done for me lately and I don’t have much time to pay attention, opinion of he 4-3 score becomes a highly rejected form of broadcasting to anyone with a brain bigger than a walnut. How many times have these clowns been wrong as opposed to correct – my guess is it 70-30 or worse, lead by the monumental waste of time trying to say who goes where in any DRAFT.