When No One Else Bothers to Post
April 27th, 2017 by Jeffrey Lubeck

For the past few days I have been looking at our site in the hopes some member would create a new Post in order to draw a set of comments.

After a few days, I began to long for the time of ChuckFromSt.Johns, Spartan81, SILA, Eyeore, and MSUDersh. This period was followed by a longing for the days when The Marine had a new moniker for every new shiny object in the public eye.  Note:  Paris Hilton texted me the other day.  Paris says she and Niiki currently hold U.S.G.A. handicaps of 2 and 7 respectively and will be at TUS HQ next week for golf.  I told her I would be ready and was impressed she could keep her comments under 14o characters.

I long for the days when I could turn on the T.V. and watch Dirty Rancher starring Northfork Rancher.  Now I have to watch the Tigers Closer be an Opener for the opposing team.

I long for the days when 89 Chemistry would point out my flaws and weaknesses. Now I have to read about every single last one of the MSU 2017 Basketball Recruiting targets select another school – which I predicted in the first-place.

I long for the days of Chuck Long at QB for the the Detroit Lions.  I long for Shelly Long, Huey Long and even Long Duk Dong.

Thoughts, anyone?  Bueller, Long?  Anyone?

April 27th, 20179:44 pmat

There is a very slow time in college sports, we are in it now. Especially, when the Tigers score 19 , 0, and 1 run to lose a series.

Some good lacrosse on starting tomorrow and the Paris Hilton Mr. Everything is a Cleveland Brown

April 28th, 20174:57 amat

Diluted Peppers and the Browns made me smile… damn, I am begrudging, I’ve got to change!

April 28th, 20174:56 amat

JL, the Tigers, Red Wings and MSU’s revenue programs are at their lowest points in the last eight years.

So, I am finding less and less positive press to discuss with TUS… any news on Wally Drenth’s track program? Did anyone watch the Bosch TV series on Amazon or via a media centre like KODI?

In fact, no news is good news now a days! The media is all about the great Hariball because MSU sports has assumed the turtle position. You can compile all the MSU golf, baseball and softball articles for 2017 and that would be less than half of one week of negative news on Nassar,, MSU football scandal or the few MSU NFL draftees. In 2015, Joe Rexrode wrote more on MSU in one week than Charbonneau and Solari have in a month this year. The Irish weather is enough of a drag. I am desperate. I putter about in my garage cleaning it rebuilding my hybrid and fixing my kids old bicycles up for resale. Compound the home front news with MSU and I am trying my best to keep my mouth shut and fingers from the keyboard when it comes to family or friends wanting to discuss MSU because I have few positive things to say. Jersey John is looking like Norman Vinncet Peale to me.

April 28th, 20176:38 amat

LMAO… thanks for the morning chuckle, Jeff and JaB.

Last time I started a thread – you remember that one about the horses and plow – the board crashed and we were in etherland for the better part of a month.

April 28th, 20177:33 amat

I am sure some of the lull is the lack of new or good news. Women’s golf B1G championship generated a flurry. showing the right kind of news encourages responses. Just the opposite of the mainstream media’s “If it bleeds it reads”. Personally I am trying to get all the things caught up that were deferred for the sake of my NAEP work this winter.

April 28th, 20177:52 amat

Here’s more humor—

MSU Media Day–August 8, 2016–Malik McDowell:
    “I won’t leave Michigan State unless I’m a Top 3 pick.” “Top 10 ain’t good enough for me. I ain’t leaving if I’m (only) top 10. If I’m not top three, I don’t leave. Really. I’m just trying to live day by day. It’s one through three, that’s the only way I’m going.”

Day one of the NFL draft has come and gone. Malik waits.

April 28th, 20178:41 amat

His latest attempt at self promotion has been the ‘show me the film’ barrage. Meaning, I’m sure, to prove that he’s a loafer. Unfortunately for him, I’m sure that’s exactly where the NFL folks found out he’s a project and not a starter on day 1.

And the above sounds like ALL the folks who said they were leaving, if………

April 28th, 20178:49 amat

He’s just one of those FOS players.

April 28th, 20178:01 amat

thanx and bless you all. more football news today about vayante Copeland. you know, the guy who was anointed the next herb adderley after playing a grand total of a game and a half two years ago against WMU and an Oregon QB who never played in a big game. apparently he’s a pothead. judging on how he was getting toasted on the field recently, he must have been stoned.

April 28th, 20178:46 amat

And then good little #BlueWAll-er Solari just HAD to run through the other player foibles of recent times while covering this guys >2 year old infraction.

But the reason I came to post today was to say that Pelfrey is pitching for the CWS tonight. Should be another rout, but then I thought they’d score >1 run combined in the last 2 games, too.

April 28th, 201710:42 amat

From Ryan Smith, editor at thelastwordonprofootball.com

The Worst Interview Ever

At the combine, Malik McDowell had an interview, and it didn’t go well. The biggest question mark with McDowell is how coachable he is, and whether he can clean up his game. However, at the combine, when asked where his unique pass rushing style came from, he gave the second worst answer ever.

He said, “My coaches, at first they weren’t really with it until I started making plays and everything. They tried to help me out but I really couldn’t get it right. I tried to tweak the technique a little bit, tweak little bit and after a certain point they just started teaching me my own style of play.”

And when the interviewers asked McDowell to explain what he meant, he followed it up with the worst answer ever.

He said, “Nah, it wasn’t even that. It just took longer time. It was hard for me to get it down, so once I figured it out, once I started making plays they really just said go ahead and do you, really.”

So basically, his collegiate coaches tried to clean up his game, and they just couldn’t. They eventually just gave up and let him play his own style of football. That might be why he only had a sack and a half in 2016.

April 28th, 201712:22 pmat

Kyle Meinke‏ @kmeinke 3h3 hours ago

For the record: The Lions were turned off by Malik McDowell just like so many others. Won’t take him until the value is too much to pass on

April 28th, 201712:54 pmat

He was just not all he was ever hyped to be and I don’t think he was ever all he could be either -very, VERY short NFL career unless he changes his attitude. In HS he was bigger stronger faster, in college more an even footing, and in the League ……..

April 28th, 20171:52 pmat

A projection for Malik:
        41. Cincinnati Bengals — Malik McDowell, DT, Michigan State: This highly talented player seems like the kind of project coach Marvin Lewis gravitates toward. If McDowell remains motivated, he and Geno Atkins could form one of the best interior duos in the league in an area where Cincinnati lacks depth.

April 28th, 20171:26 pmat

Michigan State has extended the contract of Curtis Blackwell, its suspended director of college advancement and performance, by another month, according to Chris Solari of the Detroit Free Press.

Blackwell was suspended Feb. 9, as were three football players, in connection with an investigation into an alleged sexual assault. His one-year contract expired March 31, but the university extended his contract for the month of April as the investigation continued. The latest extension is his second.

April 28th, 20171:33 pmat

MY belief is MSU will continue this 1 month extension plan until the results of the investigation are done

April 28th, 20175:53 pmat

he must really be lawyered up if they are that afraid to fire him.

April 28th, 20172:12 pmat

Browns ‘trying to trade for Kirk Cousins. This is real’ … or not

April 28th, 20172:26 pmat

Seen the rumor about Cap’t Kirk last week. I dunno…

April 28th, 20172:44 pmat

Everyone on both sides are saying it’s not happening and never was going to happen

April 28th, 20172:54 pmat

Thoughts? Well, I cannot think of any unmentioned “flaws and weaknesses” right now. Some griping will have to do.

For most of my spare time this week I have been slaving over a hot processor, pounding and annealing an 1,800-word analysis and whimsy re: your previous Post. I even found a place for the word “bivalve”, for Jud’s sake!

I felt it unworthy of a separate Post because it relied on the Leaderboards you provided. And, to be fair, I fully expected it to be cast into oblivion by someone’s NFL Draft Post. Instead I come back to see this lamentation of yours — arrogantly counterpointed by a photo of you lounging trackside on a salt flat in your Invisibility Speedos watching what must be something really cool happening. The gall! Not only do you omit even a mention of my Comment (and JaB’s lengthy, thoughtful reply), you don’t even show us the view from the chair!

(I, too, pine for the simple pleasures of the past. And more time to gripe.

(Gotta go. Will say something about some Spartans this weekend.)

April 28th, 20174:53 pmat

Tigers getting to Pelfrey in the 1st and even VMart ran to 3rd from 1st on a Petual Clark single (think about this one gang, you’ll get it)

But Tigers only get the 2 as one of the new kids hits into a double play (a Tiger double play, you say, couldn’t be, Miggy’s not playing, yea, but his replacement isn’t fast either)

April 28th, 20179:54 pmat

Got it—but—Okay–Petula Clark sang “Downtown” back in the early 60’s. (I’ve not heard of Petual Clark previous to this date.) 🙂 (Da_n spellcheck!!) 😉

Justin UPTON singled in that run you refer to.

But–there is always a (sigh) but—-
      Is Petula (or Petual) Clark a better name for Justin Upton than PRINCE?
      After all, “Uptown” was the lead single in the U.S. on Prince’s third album.

Other options besides Petual Clark and Prince: Uptown, Faygo, Funk, Bruno Mars, Crystals

In the 1950’s Uptown Soda was introduced by Faygo Beverages. Faygo Beverages, Inc. is a soft drink company headquartered in Detroit, Michigan. The beverages produced by the company, branded as Faygo or Faygo Pop, are distributed in the Midwest, Mid-Atlantic, Central Southern regions of the United States, and southern Canada. Faygo Beverages, Inc. is a wholly owned subsidiary of the National Beverage Corporation, Started in Detroit, Michigan in 1907, as Feigenson Brothers Bottling Works .[1] As the company expanded, they felt the brand name was too long and changed it to Faygo. [2] The brothers ran the company until the mid-1940s, when they turned it over to their sons.[1] In the 1950s, the company created a series of radio and television advertisements featuring a fictional cowboy called the Faygo Kid, who was portrayed in animation for television commercials for Faygo Old-Fashioned Root Beer.

Funk and Bruno Mars you ask?
      Bruno did a funky song called “Uptown.”

Crystals? Give their 1962 hit, “Uptown” a listen on youtube.
      Point being–there just may be better options than the Perpetual Clark one for Justin Upton.
      Note: I am not a fan of Tiger broadcasters continuously calling him “J-UP.”

April 29th, 20174:16 amat

uptown is downtown to me and if you had to google it then it’s not as obvious to you as it is to me – she did American Bandstand, Ed Sullivan, etc. No 1 song on all my radio stations in Mass. I got tired of hearing it. It was played at my Soph Prom when the Queen was crowned (The last name you ask? Upton.) My future sister-in-law did NOT like her (from the same prep school)

April 29th, 20176:15 amat

Quite interesting. And I also remember growing very tired of that song.

April 28th, 20175:36 pmat

MM of MSU is the 3rd pick of the 2nd Round; selected by the Seattle Seahawks.

April 28th, 20175:39 pmat

The Seahawks are a tough-love group. They are more like the Raiders of the 80’s (in attitude) than the Raiders in the 010’s.

McDowell is going to grow up or go out quickly. This may be the best team scenario for both.

April 28th, 20175:36 pmat

Malik goes @#35 to SEATLE

Jefe` look at the time of the 2 posts

April 28th, 20175:41 pmat

You lose by a nose. I am War Admiral and you are heading to the glue factory.

April 28th, 20176:52 pmat

Darn it! Anything but the Glue Factory, how about the Briar Patch

April 29th, 20174:08 amat

1st 2 rounds 3 from WMU (2 O-Line which is surprising after the loss to Whiskey which showed their weakness. Couch must have the ear of those GM’s

April 29th, 20174:21 amat

With Solari the beat typer – MSU does NOT need any enemies – article today in ANOTHER rehash of the last season. When does this clown move on?

April 29th, 20174:52 amat

If MSU’s Ad doesn’t direct the narrative with press conferences or events these talking heads and unimaginative writers will rehash the old quote with new angles.

April 29th, 201711:01 amat