Uncommon
April 14th, 2017 by Jeffrey Lubeck

un·com·mon
ˌənˈkämən adjective
  1. out of the ordinary; unusual.
    “lack of self-awareness is not uncommon for a person under the age of 19.”

It appears that Miles Bridges an 18 year-old student at Michigan State University in East Lansing, Michigan is uncommon for an individual with his skill-set.

While most college-students are seeking to identify their career-path, Bridges appears to have a pretty good idea of what will be his first professional occupation.  People who make hiring decisions for employment in Bridges likely field of work, indicate Miles is ready for the next step.  People who would benefit financially (directly and indirectly) from Bridges seeking professional employment in the near-team (aka this month) also like the idea of Miles leaving school and securing that first paycheck.

As a matter of public-record, Miles has determined he likes college, and college life at Michigan State University. Bridges would like to enjoy this time of his life and not rush into his professional career.  Miles also thinks he can materially improve upon the skills needed for his professional career by staying in college.  Miles also wants to be a contributor – if not the leader – in adding to the legacy of his University in a positive manner.

Yes, we all know about the downsides of the choices Miles has made including all the negative blather generated by Media Talking Heads.  Hey, it is possible Miles could be the recipient of a MOAB bomb courtesy of the U.S. military.

However, if the choices Miles has made recently come to full fruition the implication is he will improve his skill set, gain additional mental preparation for post-college life, be recognized as a National Champion, be one the first five persons hired in his chosen professional, double his starting salary (e.g., selected #10 – #18 in 2017 versus #1-#5 in 2018), and best of all enjoy what Michigan State University offers – establishing life long friends, additional education on a variety of fronts, and possibly experiencing a couch burning.

April 14th, 20179:36 amat

Geez your post is full of missing and misleading information that must be corrected post haste.

The only folks who were or are not aware that any MOAB’s directed at Miles will be courtesy of the MEDIA (take your pick of flavor) are those who think ISIS is under control

2ndly, you missed the biggest point of his whole decision yesterday – It’s what he wants to do. Lack of self awareness may be uncommon in a 19 year old but lack of self worth certainly is NOT. This youngster has (both self awareness and self worth and chose the road less traveled BECAUSE of those very characteristics. In demonstrating a maturity belied by his age, he figured out that although he may be ready in his own and others minds to go pro, he is not ready in his own mind to do so. Why? could be he doesn’t want the fun to leave basketball, or he’s not ready for the gangsta rat-race life of NBA or he truly believes that with the all-star AAU team at MSU next year (shades of the Used Jelly Salesman) that they can make a run at the title (Coach Izzo covered that in the presser yesterday saying in affect luck be a lady tonight because he took his best team since the 2000 win to the Dance 2 years ago and they were gone in the 1st round)

One of the ideas that permeates aviation and military aviation specifically is the youngsters who fill it’s rolls. They always want the next challenge until their collective behinds get handed to them by some old guy; then, they learn the wisdom available to them far outweighs their individual skill set. QED

April 14th, 201712:02 pmat

Huh?

I did not not miss what you thought was the the biggest point at all. Re-read the third paragraph below the definition. I am saying the same thing; Miles is doing exactly what he wants to do and I simply listed the details to let you draw the conclusion. And I have those details on good account.

April 14th, 20171:58 pmat

North Carolina — 12/1
      Gonzaga — 14/1
      Kansas — 14/1
      Villanova — 14/1
      Arizona — 16/1

April 14th, 201712:11 pmat

Knee-jerk Media. Although Miles’ return might actually support that line going forward.

April 14th, 20171:18 pmat

Those are Sports Betting odds from Bovada (whatever that is)

April 14th, 20171:55 pmat

British Overseas Value Analytics Diminished Accordingly (Bovada).

April 14th, 20172:13 pmat

Nice! Except the V stands for “Valuation”. (Brits are pompous; q.v. Monty Python and the Meaning of Life.)

April 14th, 20173:50 pmat

Oh I’am sorry I have a cold.

April 14th, 20174:00 pmat

Media’s a jerk, I agree.

April 14th, 201710:47 amat

Miles Bridges is indeed an extraordinary young man. He was fully informed and given sufficient advice on his options. Despite the lure and pressure to leave for the NBA he made the decision he is most comfortable with.

April 14th, 201712:09 pmat

I agree. My understanding is that Trier is staying at Arizona via a similar method (i.e., I like the path I am on, while the NBA is a destination I am going to enjoy the trip and I am making an informed decision and it is what I want to do).

April 14th, 20171:17 pmat

I’ll go on record again as saying the BTN is a sham. EVERY Big Ten Baseball/softball team is playing TODAY – the channel for all things BigTen is showing reruns of football crap. Only 1 game scheduled to be shown at 6pm.

April 14th, 20171:52 pmat

It sure does feel like that a great deal of the time.

Recently Linda and I were watching the end of a (rather exciting) Women’s Lacrosse match and they broke off to show a replay of some football thing.

Really?

I want BTN to show all B1G sports.

April 14th, 20175:30 pmat

They are just a football TV showcase because that’s what they think is the $$$ producer and will NEVER grow beyond that with that attitude. Maybe one day they will figure out by actually looking at ratings that they are a clown show reminiscent of the days when the P would show anything from pie eating to billiards just to say they were all about sports. The Big soft and hard ball schedules are Friday – Sunday, lacrosse, which they show almost every game, is a week day and a weekend; they could easily say ok start your games at __________ and we’ll cover them. But instead they think their advertisers will pay the $$ every if nobody is watching g9 months out of the year. I know how important it is to the nation to increase the corn production, but I really don’t think those products advertising on the BTN is getting to a particular target audience

BTN = Clown Show

April 14th, 20171:57 pmat

Fun story about Bill Frehan’s grandson and Cam Gibson (Cam story imbedded to the Blaise Slater story)

April 14th, 20172:15 pmat

* MSU Baseball hosts OSU this weekend. Games should be available on BTN2Go. Here is the link to the game in progress:
    Saturday and Sunday’s games begin at 13:05 EDT.

* The off-campus home series of MSU Softball with Illinois is underway. Games should be available on BTN2Go. Here is the link to the game in progress:
    Saturday’s double-header begins at 2 PM EDT.

* MSU Golf reshman Kaleb Johnson has three top-10 finishes this season. The Spartan men go to the Boilermaker Invitation this weekend. (The Spartan women go to the Lady Buckeye Invitational this weekend.)

* MSU Women’s Tennis is 4th in the B1G. It hosts middle-of-pack teams NE and IA this weekend:

Go Green!

April 14th, 20174:01 pmat

I like Miles, alot. Miles and Miles of Heart.

April 14th, 20175:19 pmat

I know you’ve never deceived me, now here’s a surprise
      I know that you never have ’cause there’s Magic in my eyes

I can see for Miles and Miles and Miles and Miles and Miles
      Oh yeah

If you think that I don’t know about the defensive tricks you’ve played
      And never see when you deliberately put threes up and away

Well, here’s a salute to you
      You’re gonna love it too
      You’re gonna keep that smile
      Because all the while

I can see for Miles and Miles
      I can see for Miles and Miles
      I can see for Miles and Miles and Miles and Miles and Miles
      Oh yeah

April 14th, 20179:17 pmat

Interesting choice.

One of The Who’s most popular songs. All about deceit and unfaithfulness – which Mr. Bridges is proving to be the opposite.

Ironically, listened to this song (by selection choice) a few days ago. Keith Moon on drums is a total standout.

April 14th, 20179:19 pmat

Out of respect to GoSt8Go I played this with the volume set to 11.

April 15th, 20177:09 amat

What I believe the poster was saying is the Miles is the antideceit and antiunfaithfullness elixir to what’s been ailing us for about 8 months. Make mine a double and put me on the last rain home tonight.

April 15th, 20177:06 amat

Nice!

April 14th, 20179:37 pmat

A most unique post/thread choice.