Let the College Basketball Signing Period Dancing Begin
April 12th, 2017 by Jeffrey Lubeck

April 12th is the start of the official signing period for college basketball athlete’s (formal letter of intent). Signings can be made through May 17th.  Many players committed during the Early Signing Period (last November).

The Usual Prognosticators (officially banned from being a member in good standing of The Usual Suspects) have started all the blather.  They are incorrect in their predictions way,way more than they are correct.  However, much like Mel Kiper and Mock Draft 9,930.50 (for football) there predictions are about attracting eye balls not accuracy.

Here are some of the rags predictions.

Campus Insider

247Sports

mLive

TUS (driven by TUS Compliance regime) is all about being correct and timely.  So membership, we want your bottom-line, no conditions or caveats.  what say you?

1.  Will Miles Bridges return to MSU for sophomore season (Yes/No).
  2. Will Ben Carter be granted an additional season of college play at MSU (Yes/No).
  3. Who in addition to Xavier Tillman and Jaren Jackson will commit/join MSU Basketball for the 2017-2018 season?

April 12th, 201712:16 pmat

1 Yes

2 Yes

3. This one leaves a little wiggle room. I was/am not impressed with Jackson’s teammate very much I think we get the big kid out the Ca. if he’s in this class and the point guard out of Ill.

April 12th, 201712:40 pmat

VMart couldn’t score from 2nd on a HR

April 12th, 201712:44 pmat

But he can from 3rd when Andrew Romine hits a Grand Salami

April 12th, 20175:19 pmat

I am excited for Romine. I was pleased when The Tigers acquired him from the Angels in 2014. I am pleased Romine has remained with the Tigers. I like guys that can play 7 of 8 positions in the field with above major league average skill – who can also pitch in a pinch. I like batsmen who are switch hitters who can go yard and also bunt with competence. The disapointment with Romine (if there is any) is that with his size, frame, batting eye, and strength is that his career batting average of .243 is a solid 30-60 points below where all expect he should be. Even this spring scouts remain bewildered that Romine’s numbers are not moving upward.

Perhaps these last few games – all with multiple hits including HR and deep gap variety – is the Romine we will see on a regular basis in 2017.

April 12th, 20176:00 pmat

Rod and Mario were talking that he has just felt MORE comfortable this year – Like Sergoi? Turned over anew leaf

April 12th, 20178:34 pmat

One can hope for things; like me regrowing hair on my head. In the case of Romine hope is not needed. He actually has the skills; so it might be turning over a new leaf – just as long as it does not turn out to be Ryan Leaf.

I will settle for .277. How about you?

April 13th, 20175:32 amat

’89 could be more specific, but the difference between .250 and .277 is less than 20 hits, so, yea, let’s go for .280 w/ bunch of runs scored

The middle needs start hitting though, I15 goes from boarder to boarder (long way) and Miggy, VMart, etc are currently traveling it. Tigers won’t win many more with Romine supplying the power

April 13th, 20177:47 amat

Romine = Rogaine?

April 12th, 20172:01 pmat

Ah yes the 1st Call Sam advertisement

Alex Wilson getting the 6 out save (little dicy, but he got it)

• LeeBee writes:
    April 12th, 20172:49 pmat

Get another tall dude. The hot shot recruit won’t play at MSU if Bridges stays.

April 12th, 20174:02 pmat

On the FB under some group called the MSU Bowlin Group

Knew this was probably coming over the last couple weeks but now it’s all but official! Miles Bridges is coming back to East Lansing, baby! San Antonio we are coming for you! Goal: Title #2 for Coach Izzo! Go Green!

April 12th, 20174:28 pmat

1. Yes. (I cannot prove it, but such was my thinking for the past week.)
    2. No.
    3. 6′ 10″ Brandon McCoy (and hopefully someone else).

April 12th, 20174:40 pmat

* In the top of the 5th, MSU Softball is down 4-1 to the pesky Gulos.

The Spartans’ weekend series with Illinois has been moved to Davenport U. in Caledonia (SE of Grand Rapids) due to persistent flooding of the home field.

* Dantonio revealed today that there are players that participated in the G&W scrimmage that have since been “red-locked”. “We use the term red lock for various things,” said Dantonio.

Practices resume in late July.

* The ashes of the late R. Probert have reportedly been scattered in the Red WIngs’ penalty box at Joe Louis Arena.

April 12th, 20174:45 pmat

1. Yes, I certainly hope so. Rumor mills say so, so it must be true.
    2. Yes
    3. Brandon McCoy and Mark Smith. I’m optimistic.

April 12th, 20175:27 pmat

1. Yes.
    2. No – I wish for it but the NCAA rarely if ever grants another exception for someone who has transferred multiple times.
    3. None from the top #25 list who claim to have MSU in the mix. The top players who pick MSU do it early. The high-profile guys playing the dance card game at this stage rarely – if ever – pick MSU. Swannigan was the exception and the Legal Guardian made him change to Purdue.

April 13th, 20177:50 amat

Abstaining in Richmond. I’d be just throwing darts. Yes for all three would be fantastic news. Huge.

• I Believe writes:
      April 13th, 20178:21 amat

Recruiting is never over until all of the scholarships have been signed or GoSt8Go resists the “serge” to put a tweest of lemon in espresso.

April 13th, 20179:42 amat

I’d like to think so, but I think recruiting is never over until “mom” says it’s over.

• I Believe writes:
    April 13th, 20177:53 amat

With 15 points last night vs. the Mavericks, Zach Randolph became the highest-scoring Spartan in NBA history. Here are the Top 5 Spartans:
    1. Zach Randolph (Z-Bo) = 17,721
    2. Magic Johnson = 17,707
    3. Kevin Willis = 17,253
    4. Jason Richardson = 14,644
    5. Steve Smith = 13,430

GO GREEN!

• I Believe writes:
    April 13th, 20177:58 amat

Now, to answer Jefe’s questions …

1. Yes
    2. Yes
    3. Brandon McCoy

Miles Bridges tweet this (Thursday) morning: “Goodmorning everybody!! Don’t lose your soul trying to get materialistic things!!God is the only one that you should want to please everyday.”

April 13th, 20179:42 amat

I like that dude.

April 13th, 20173:24 pmat

So do I! AND I’m 100% sure he’s coming back

• I Believe writes:
    April 13th, 20177:58 amat

Keep an eye on the WNBA Draft today. Spartan Tori Jankoska has been forecast as high as the 8th pick overall.

April 13th, 20178:09 amat

Will do.

I would take Jankoska with with of my picks; which are 48 and 84.

April 13th, 20177:32 pmat

She went #9 to Chi-Town

• I Believe writes:
    April 13th, 20178:17 amat
      April 14th, 20175:54 amat

Great shot!

• I Believe writes:
    April 13th, 20178:25 amat

FYI … The MSU Board of Regents unanimously approved the hiring of Danton Cole this morning.

(GoSt8Go was a lone abstention, though off-the-record he was a huge “yes.”)

April 13th, 20179:43 amat

I like him if you like him. I wish only happiness to MSU Hockey faithful.

April 13th, 201712:47 pmat

Michigan State’s Miles Bridges has something to say: ‘Meet me at Sparty’

• I Believe writes:
    April 13th, 20171:22 pmat

And now for the Eeyore (bad) news of the day …

New sexual assault charge involving a Spartan football player in Meridian Township. Separate incident from the pending case. Player has been suspended from the football team.

Error by MSU staff ends college prep program for Lansing high school students.

April 14th, 20173:12 pmat

Morton Salt time. When it rains it pours.

April 13th, 20172:03 pmat

Life is just a bowl of cherries or a box of chocolates, but we seem to be getting the pits and nuguts here recently

April 13th, 20177:44 pmat

you got that right. Football needs a break about now.

April 13th, 20172:35 pmat

I don’t think either Zimmerman or Sanchez should EVER pitch for Detroit again – they are no longer MLB quality pitchers – They both got bombed today just as badly as they got bombed in their Spring Training appearances

April 13th, 20173:26 pmat

I don’t watch the silly SC on the P anymore because it’s not a sports news show any more. So, if somebody does what it, I’d be interested to hear IF the mention that Bridges is staying

60-40 they don’t

April 13th, 20174:04 pmat

A huge crowd at Sparty to hear Bridges speak including all the coaches and players It’s live on FB, wanting for Miles family to arrive.

Miles to go

• I Believe writes:
    April 13th, 20175:50 pmat
  • I Believe writes:
    April 13th, 20175:52 pmat

MSU’s starting lineup next season …

I can see for Miles

• I Believe writes:
    April 13th, 20175:55 pmat

Tori Jankoska was the 9th overall selection in the WNBA draft by the Chicago Sky. That’s two first-round picks in consecutive seasons for the MSU women.

Congrats Tori!

April 13th, 20177:00 pmat

Jackson looks like a project like Davis – load of potential, but raw, I think Schilling starts and we know winston has to learn how to play D before he’ll get any increased time. Langford I think will Blossom. Ward, too, if he can learn not to foul.

April 13th, 20178:13 pmat

I am desiring of moving (back) to Chicago.

Linda is offering the Chicago Sky $8.74M, and a suite at the Lubeck Cabin in Stanley, Idaho (100% in path) for the Total Solar Eclipse if the team will sign Jankoska and provide me season tickets and minimal housing in Chicago (aka bench seat at Navy Pier) during her contract period.

• I Believe writes:
    April 14th, 20175:12 amat

Per David Harns: “Bridges, Nairn, Langford, Winston, Ward, Harris… they all hung around until every fan that wanted pictures/autographs got them.”

Now that’s the Spartan character we love and appreciate.

April 14th, 20175:55 amat

Gotta like it.

April 14th, 20178:08 amat

further proof that if Tori went to UCONN or even SCum she would have been first or second team all American. I know there are underclassmen involved but her not being even third team was a crock.

April 14th, 20179:29 amat

As you and I have discussed there were not 15 players ahead of tori

However, the only real pick that mattered was in the WNBA.