The Next Thread
April 5th, 2017 by GoSt8Go

It occurs that we needed something other than the NCAA Tournament Hangover. The Tigers are “in-season” and 1-0. Jacoby Jones, good. Spartan Baseball has had some rough times, losers of 5 straight, the latest to EMU. The bright side is they are close in all of these games.

April 5th, 201710:39 amat

The following message was posted to our Bracket Challenge message board by 89 Chemistry and needs to be posted here as well. Good stuff.

It was a Grosse Pointe Elementary School final here at TUS Mayhem. Jeff Lubeck was in the lead Sunday
    because of his great picks in the Regional rounds and his prediction that North Carolina would make the Finals — and he would keep the lead unless Gonzaga beat the Tar Heels for all the marbles. In that event, his fellow childhood yardbird Mike Andary from way back in The Age of The Yardbirds would have won instead. Sentiment was on Andary’s side — and Space (the length of a entire continent) & Time (a late tip-off vs. a surgeon’s early bedtime) were arrayed so that not even Dr.A could screw it up.

Alas, it wasn’t to be. The rich got richer while the Jesuits got their avowed poverty. Jeff won yet another pool. There’s probably no truth to the rumor that the venerated TUS Mayhem Trophy was launched via trebuchet into the Bermuda Triangle by defending champion and UNC hater Colonel H. whilst muttering,
    “Fetch it yersself, Mountain Monkey!” But th! e rest of us losers can dream…

Anyhoo: Now that the seeming self-inflicted vivisection that is bracket erosion has ended, I decided to share
    the results that some easy bracket-preparation strategies would have given this year in case anyone wants to save some time and emotional investment next spring:

Under TUS Mayhem (CBS Sports) scoring, randomly-selected brackets would tend to yield an average 44.3
    points, with a score of 41 or less most of the time — and 87+ points less than 2% of the time. I did this with a
    bracket one year (before thinking through the odds), and strongly recommend against it.

The other way of quickly filling up a bracket, “Chalk”, often does well–but not well enough to win a sizeable
    Tournament pool. Chalk, in its strictest sense, implies choosing lower seeds (e.g., a 1-seed beating a 16-seed) throughout the Regionals and choosing the Tournament’s top overall seed (Villanova this year) to beat the second ov! erall seed (Kansas this year) in the Championship Game. This! year, a purely Chalk bracket would have expired after the Elite Eight; it would have scored 130 points under TUS Mayhem rules. Over the past 14 years, Chalk’s average score under our rules is about 134 points.

(A different strategy — I coin it “Vegas-modified Chalk” — works by selecting bettors’ favorites in the first round; lower seeds for first-round games with no favorite; and the consequently-surviving lower seeds in
    subsequent rounds (i.e., “Chalk”). This year, such a strategy would have yielded 129 points in our pool.)

Thankfully, none of us had to endure the embarrassment of scoring fewer than 44 points this year. Unfortunately, none of us except Jeff & Andary did better than Chalk this year.

Lest Jeff feel too full of himself, he should note that Andary needed only one bracket to give Jeff a run for his money.

Lesser congratulations go to Boyd Buchanan, whose [#2] Bracket placed third. Like about half of us, Boyd filled in two brack! ets; among those that did so, his two brackets had the highest combined score. A additional tip of the cap goes to Tim Diller (another surgeon) for placing two brackets in the top seven. (Contrast that with Jeff’s lesser bracket — which was almost as middling as mine!)

Roasting aside, we gotta thank Jeff again for sponsoring the pool and forum. I hope it will continue for many years to come — beginning with a 2017-18 season that promises a real chance for the Spartans to return to the Final Four.

Thanks for playing, and Go Green!

This message/poll was posted to your league’s message board. To view this message within your league go to http://cbssports.com/lr/022D8E41.

April 5th, 201711:31 amat

Ditto!

April 5th, 20172:10 pmat

I tried to aim it slightly Northwest, but I had a really bad hook lie in the parking lot and that sucker did in fact end up just south of Santa Rosa – good news is it’s not too deep, bad news is the Gators are plentiful and nasty since they haven’t won much of anything in the past 10 years or so.

April 5th, 20174:08 pmat

It now occurs to me that with great distances and no in-flight thrust come great altitudes.

Q: If one drops something besides titanium or the like from a height of 60 miles, does it burn up on the way down?

April 5th, 20176:01 pmat

While the The Like (c) TUS – all rights reserved, might survive the natural elements… it would subsequently have to overcome the following unnatural obstacles:

1. Politics.
          2. Media Talking Heads.
          3. Bracketology.
          4. Spartan Brick.
          5. TUS Poll.

I vote no!

April 5th, 20176:49 pmat

60 miles puts one well into the Thermosphere(which starts at 70k’ – and 60 miles is roughly360K’) and ‘dropping’ at that altitude is a misnomer because NO it doesn’t ‘fall’; it’s orbit decays eventually and yes it will burn up before impact – depending on it’s size.

As for Jefe`’s vote, facts would seem to overcome the VERY logical argument he has presented.

April 6th, 20179:24 amat

Yep, my bracket was definitely not created on this planet and definitely destroyed during re-entry.

April 7th, 201712:27 pmat

“Drops” was easier to type than a fully accurate description of what would practically have to be done.

Something in an orbit without any added thrust — whether stable for millennia or decaying — is falling. But would our trophy have been in orbit as described? It seems to me that the trophy would be falling from its apogee. Does not “orbit” imply a full circuit around the more massive body (Earth, in this case)?

April 5th, 20174:25 pmat

This was different.

Some of you were aware of my Civil War explorations.
    Jeff requested that I share a bit of a recent experience.

On March 31st, 2017, this past Friday, I visited a relic of a former age where one of my great-grandfathers, Luke Bosom, was a survivor as a prisoner of war at the infamous Andersonville Confederate Prison also named Fort Sumpter, just outside of Andersonville, Georgia.

Today a grassy field surrounded by white stakes marks the location of the original prison site and serves as a unique space in which to explore the experiences of the 45,000 prisoners of war held here in a short 14 month span in 1864 and 1865. Nearly 13,000 died here in that span.

The driving and walking self-guided tour I took, accompanied by a zip drive-USB plug-in that I borrowed/signed out from the visitor center was an invaluable tool.

The serene grounds today are garbed in greenery and provide a pastoral scene in stark contrast to what history tells us turned into a cesspool of suffering. The peaceful plain I was witnessing belied the horror that once took place here. I wasn’t really expecting the agony felt by Luke and his fellow prisoners to rise up to me…and it didn’t manifest itself in that way for me. This was about honoring one man. As the day progressed I was stirred by the collective price paid by so many thousands of men and of the untold suffering, by extension, of their families.

The cemetery is a silent witness to the chaos, horrors of life, and eventual death at Andersonville where row upon row of markers for the nearly 13000 graves signify those who were unable to survive in the short 14 months that the prison was in operation.

I found it impossible not to glimpse back to lessons learned in school and scenes from historical narratives about such horrors of war.
    Certainly human error, miscalculation and even cruelty played a large part in the tragedy of not only Andersonville, but the conflict that produced it.

I browsed through the visitor center with many books and dvds for sale. I tried to imagine the anguish of the families of these soldiers who died here.
    I saw the words “echoes of captivity” on a film jacket and wondered it it spoke to the families’ misery as well as the misery suffered by the prisoners of war.

Being there struck a chord with me, as I was certain it would.

I had also felt something very unique a few years ago when I visited the Fredericksburg, VA, battlefield where great Grandfather Tom Wakeley’s brother, Silas Raymond Wakeley, a sergeant in the company C, 145th Regiment Pennslvania Infantry was killed in Gen Burnside’s suicidal assault on Mayre’s Heights December 13, 1862. I walked that same line that Company C had taken as those innocent men were offered up in human waves of cannon fodder in a militarily absurd maneuver.
    It was hard for me to accept that those men marched into certain death from Lee’s forces and Jackson’s artillery. The West Point training of the day was still about marching our men into your men.

Shelby Foote, the late Civil War authority, opined this about courage in the Civil War.
    “But the Soldiers always did in that war; its to us almost an incredible bravery, considering the casualties.”
    “They still thought that to mass their fire they had to mass their men. So they lined up and marched up toward an entrenched line and got blown away. More credit for valor is [sometimes] given to Confederate Soldiers. They were supposed to have more élan and dash. Actually, I know of no braver men in either army than the Union troops at Fredericksburg, which is a serious defeat. But to keep charging that wall at the foot of Marye’s Heights after all the failures they been in, and they were all failures, is a singular instance of valor.”

That was a battlefield.

This was not a battlefield.
    On a battlefield it is presumed soldiers are armed and attacking, as well as enabling their own defense.

This was different.

Unarmed men at Andersonville had not only to suffer from the elements (they were provided no means of shelter). The most meager of rations
    were provided. They endured cruelty from their captors as well as cruel bullying, plus robbery and murder from the worst element of their own captives.

The creek that ran through the camp was named Sweetwater Branch. It may have provided clear water for drinking and bathing for a short number of weeks. But, a stockade of 16.5 acres was never meant to hold 45,000 men. Even expanding the prison site to 26 acres had no real positive effect on
    the horror that was Andersonville.

I covered the entire 26 acre perimeter of the former compound. The walls no longer stand. There are many stakes placed on the perimeter with the word “STOCKADE” on them to indicate where the outer wall was. Correspondingly, about 19 or 20 feet inside of each STOCKADE stake or post is another stake with the word “DEADLINE” on it. The DEADLINE was the space inside the wall that prisoners were forbidden to cross. Any that dared such a maneuver were shot.

Dotted along the ground in this area are markers indicating the locations of wells dug by the soldiers.

I feel it is likely that Luke was able to quench his thirst from one, if not several of these wells that the prisoners dug by hand with spoons, broken canteens and their bare hands.

This was different.
    I found myself wondering about the psychological chains that Luke and other survivors might have felt following their survival and return to the real
    world following the war. Today we hear a lot about PTSD from returning soldiers. While not perfect, there are resources in place to assist the returning veteran today. I could not help but wonder what demons Luke dealt with as he found a way to forge a seemingly normal life following the war. My father, born in 1901, was 18 when Luke passed in 1919. He recalled many conversations with his “Granddad Bosom,” as he called him. He said Luke talked often of the war and his captivity. To me this says that Luke was still somewhat obsessed with his war-time experience over 50 years later.

Then, I recalled that I had found that Luke was also very active in the GAR, “Grand Army of the Republic.” (GAR) was a fraternal organization composed of veterans of the Union Army (United States Army), Union Navy (U.S. Navy), Marines and the U.S. Revenue Cutter Service who served in the American Civil War for the Northern/Federal forces. Linking men through their experience of the war, the G.A.R. became among the first organized advocacy groups in American politics, supporting voting rights for black veterans, promoting patriotic education, helping to make Memorial Day a national holiday, lobbying the United States Congress to establish regular veterans’ pensions, and supporting Republican political candidates. Its peak membership, at more than 490,000, was in 1890, a high point of various Civil War commemorative and monument dedication ceremonies.
    This was likely a coping mechanism for many veterans of that war.

There is a reconstructed gate–THE NORTH GATE.
    Here, every captive soldier entered the prison. They passed through two sets of huge wooden double doors to enter the camp.
    The outside doors led into a holding area. The outside doors were closed and locked. Then the inner doors were opened and the captives were forced into the interior of the stockade, where they would have seen for the first time skin-and-bones bodies with eyes sunken in their sockets looking back at them. They’d have known instantly what fate lay in store for them as well.
    I walked up the same slope that Luke would have ascended to that reconstructed North Gate in the exact location of the original.
    I slowly walked on through so I could say I walked in Luke’s footsteps.

Reconstructed Gate.

This entire experience took me to a place and sentiment from Ken Burns’ PBS series, “The Civil War,” that quoted a review of Matthew Brady’s Gallery ‘The Dead of Antietam’ in New York City back in 1862 when the photographer brought battlefield photographs into the public domain. Photography was young and the horrors presented of Antietam were new and startling in 1862. Seeing a list of names of the deceased had never registered the same as now seeing the bleeding or mangled corpse that could be associated with those listed from that battlefield.
    “We recognize the battle-field as a reality, but it stands as a remote one.
    The dead of the battlefield come up to us very rarely, even in dreams. We see the lists in the morning with paper at breakfast, but dismiss this recollection with a coffee. Mr. Matthew Brady has done something to bring to us the terrible reality and carelessness of the war. If he has not brought bodies and laid them at our doorstep, he has done something very like it.”

Following Luke’s story has laid Andersonville at my doorstep.
    I do not claim to have made Luke’s pain my own.
    Special. Sobering. A thankful heritage.
    That was my sense of Andersonville Prison.
    It was… different.

“Coldly and unpifyingly the stars will look down them and darkness will come with night to shut them in. But there is a poetry in the scene that no green holds or smiling landscapes can possese. Here lie men who have not hesitated to seal and lamp their convictions with their blood, — men who have lung themselves into the great gulf of the until own to teach world that there are truths [???] than life, wrongs and shames more to be dreaded than death. And if there be on earth one spot where the grass will grow greener than on another when the hunt, Summer comes, where the leaves of Antumn will shop more lightly which they fall like a benediction upon a work completed and promise fulfilled, it is these soldiers’ graves.”

“Muzzle-loading weapons sound awful primitive. They didn’t seem primitive to them. They were a new kind of infantry rifle that is deadly at 200 yards. That was a tremendous step forward. And the tactics were based on the old musket, which was accurate at about 60 feet. And they lined up shoulder to shoulder and moved against a position, and got blown down because they were using tactics with these very modern weapons. They were using the old-style tactics with very modern weapons. A few of the men realized that, Bedford Forrest for instance. He would never make a frontal attack on anything with this new weapon in their hands. But too many of them, including Robert E. Lee and U.S. Grant, followed the old tactics against these modern weapons. That’s why the casualties. There were 1,095,000 casualties in the Civil War. If today you had that same ratio, you’d have something like 10 million casualties, to give you some idea of what happened.”
    – Shelby Foote, interviewed by the Academy of Achievement

April 6th, 20175:12 amat

Thanks Art, Fascinating read. Your sharing opened an ole interest of mine and I am a curious dude.

The Civil War battlefields led to a few detours during often dull client contact duties as regional manager. Not having any relations from Finland or Spain involved made me rely on a few books my brother and I collected for accounts. Those books focused on the strategic design making and implications, no personal accounts. That doesn’t prevent one from feeling the loss of life surrounding you if you have any sense of empathy, However, empathy doesn’t quite come close to your personal experience.

April 6th, 20179:25 amat

Two Thumbs Up. Way Up.

April 6th, 201710:01 amat

Art, I am thankful and grateful for the opportunity to understand with empathy – albeit vicariously – your journey to a hell and back. Andersonville was our Stalag or Gulag, if you will of what many in the south still refer to as the Battle Between the States; a statement that may be politically incorrect in this day and age, but I prefer, for the use of the term “Civil” War seems to gloss over the horrors – as in there was nothing “civil” about any of it.

April 8th, 20172:55 pmat

Quite a story, Kindle. It is a little surprising to see the State of Michigan erected a [cenotaph?] to honor its POWs. Did you notice whether all the other Union States had similar memorials? And more importantly, do you know the Regiment with which Luke Bosom was serving at the time of his capture?

Ken Burns’ documentary had a couple of segments about Fort Sumpter. They were compelling television. At one or two deaths an hour, every hour, it does not sound like a pleasant work environment for the Confederate soldiers — which would add, I think, to their cruelty. I also imagine that POW camps, all else being equal, are less well-run and more unpleasant to be in when the camp’s nation is losing in a war. Finally, I would think, on finding it, that Sherman and his troops kicked up their brutality a notch.

April 8th, 20178:14 pmat

Yes, 89~~~ several other states have monuments there. I cannot say for sure that each union state is represented but think it a safe bet.

As well as the former prison and the Andersonville National Cemetery, the site also now contains the National Prisoner of War Museum.
        I toured that museum as well: http://www.andersonvillegeorgia.com/pow_museum/

Luke Enlisted in Company L, Michigan, 1st Engineer Regiment on April 29th, 1863.
        Bosom, Luke

Regiment: 1
        State: Michigan
        Company: L
        Rank: Private
        Description: Held at Andersonville and survived
        Capture Date: Blank
        Capture Site: Blank

April 5th, 20175:55 pmat

Gosh.

What compelling reading top-to-bottom.

With you as the narrator and voice… this was different.

I am lucky to have you as my friend. I am the better for it.

April 5th, 20176:06 pmat

What has happened to my baseball team (i.e., MSU). I like this squad, so I am not ready to give up on them.

April 5th, 20176:50 pmat

Could they have fallen victim to the dreaded curse of the Clippings and those who read them

April 6th, 20179:27 amat

The good news is they are staying close in these games. Certainly don’t want to have to survive by leaning on “yard” balls like this did with Ill. We thought the pitching looked and deep, but perhaps not quite there.

April 5th, 20177:41 pmat

Checking out the Yaks @TB in the 2nd game of he season and there are more empty seats than filled ones.

Miami isn’t too much better

April 6th, 20175:32 amat

Tigs will get the 2nd game in today in 46 D’sGrees with winds @25 kts tapering off to 20. Fun time

April 6th, 20175:46 amat

My Mens Club took a shellacking yesterday in 6 better ball match play outing with the Women’s Club – there was only 1 winning team (and that by my partner’s putt for the win on the 18th where he got a stroke and no one else did)

April 6th, 20179:21 amat

Compliance is on it. “Coach, I want that hundred dollars”

April 6th, 20175:18 pmat

No, they were just getting even – they’d ‘practiced together as teams” for the forgoing month – we had solidly beaten them the 1st 2 years

April 6th, 20179:50 amat

After a great discussion with The Jeff(c) last evening I went through both Mark Dantonio press conferences, one from last week and Spring Game Post-Game. Would recommend the same to anyone. They are both on YouTube.

Yes, I know I can be a bit of a boy scout. Guys like me love guys like Mark Dantonio. The guy just gets it. He knows what he is and what he wants, understands what he controls and what he doesn’t. For the most part he responds to what he doesn’t control in a manner I highly admire. He understands that the media is not here to love his program, or hate it, but they will write about both if they can sell ads.

No, I don’t think he will be attending the annual Sports Writers Correspondence Dinner (is there such a thing?), but it’s clear to me that he’s 100% in charge, and accountable for this program. With his choices on what he’ll discuss, he’s not hiding behind the university or anyone else that might have pulled the strings prior to the last decade. Harder to tell, but I do believe he’s in 100% alignment with his coaches, AD and president on the path forward.

This is the guy I want coaching my team to win football games. This is the guy that I want coaching Michigan State Players about Life and particularly life after football – this is the guy I would want coaching my son. It occurs to me how rare putting both these things together in one package is.

I shared with Jeff how cool it is that Mark Dantonio, having the crappiest of…months, can take a quick walk down the street, knock on a door, have Tom Izzo open the door, smile at him, punch him in the shoulder, no words said, no words need be said (they know they are in violent alignment on what they do), Tom just walks Mark down to the basement for a beer or two.

I believe there will be a time that MD can share with the media what happened. Kudos to him for not caving in for a story, or for an editor putting pressure on his guys to make sure they “ask that question”, or throwing a bone that surely will have the dogs screaming for a larger bone next time.

That’s how I’ll describe what IDIT means to me today. We’re gonna get through this.

April 6th, 201710:11 amat

Thanks GoSt8Go. Coach D and everyone at MSU is walking the edge of a straight razor nowadays.

Campus life today is NOTHING like it was when we went to school, mates.

I do not want to get into politics on this board, but just surf Jennifer C. Braceras or Laura Kipnis and read some of their articles to get a sense of what I mean. My son was at the vanguard of the heavy-handedness PC stuff taking hold of academia at the turn of the century. That’s all I’ll say.

April 6th, 20174:49 pmat

Holy Cow. Thanks for sharing. It does fit similarly with an observation that every if fair game for being an issue, anywhere. Jeff didn’t describe to me in the form of academia, but in the media, as this: the filter is off.

April 6th, 20175:23 pmat

the media is all about the clicks which means all about the ads that are there OR just remember the Pulitzer Prize winning newspaper in the movie Teachers Pet which had NO adverting and the Clark Gable reaction to it.

April 7th, 20179:29 amat

I love Dantonio also. I have no facts or info but a sinking feeling in my gut that I have had for a few years. That feeling and opinion is this. the hiring of Curtis Blackwell may spell the beginning of the end for Dantonio, Hollis, and Simon, and the downward trend of MSU football for the forseeable future.

April 7th, 20172:47 pmat

For those that might be interested, there is ongoing discussion of MSU Football’s Delicate Matter in the previous Post’s Comments.

It would be nice to have all 16 [injured (including Terry) or suspended] players cleared and practicing for MSU this fall. However, that is probably not going to happen. I say this because MSU is allowed 85 scholarship players. But 68 (the scholars on the Spring roster) + 20 (the scholars enrolling in August) = 88. Whether that total is exactly three more than 85 due to convenient coincidence depends on whom one asks.

April 7th, 20172:47 pmat

Women’s Tennis swept Wisconsin 4-0 last weekend; they go to Rutgers on Sunday.

MSU baseball is in G.R. this weekend:

MSU softball is in Ypsi this weekend:
    (The Lions are 2-4 in B1G play.)

And this weekend, MSU Rowing competes at home for the only time this season:

Go Green!

April 7th, 20175:46 pmat

is it normal to only have one home rowing meet in a season?

April 7th, 20176:30 pmat

They compete all year, most of the ‘home meets’ were in the Fall. Home is a misnomer – the lake they use is 30 miles north of the campus. It’s usually 3 or more schools involved and they go to to someplace nearer Arrogant Arbor, then to Cambridge Ma, for 2 days of meets, then the B1GTen Championships, and the nationals Travel is a big deal as they or the other schools have to take their boats

April 8th, 20178:21 amat

thanks. that explains a lot. I wondered if the red cedar was too small for these meets. I think they did row there in the “olden days” but that may have just been practice.

April 8th, 20172:34 pmat

* Congratulations to the Tigers on their ninth consecutive Opening Day victory! The bullpen held! (Looking forward to seeing how long Fulmer lets the beard grow.)

* Tomorrow, the Red Wings — having lost their 25-year Playoff streak — will play their final game in Joe Louis Arena. Three days ago, the cheapest seat was listed at $239.

* On Monday, the Pistons — having lost their one-year (?) Playoff streak — will play their final game in The Palace. Three days ago, the cheapest seat was listed at $19.

* Softball had its four-game winning streak broken by PSU in today’s first game. MSU is now up 3-0 in the second game:

* MSU Baseball beat Fresno State, 10-4, earlier today. Their second game of the day has gotten underway:

April 8th, 20175:09 pmat

Golf tied 6th at the Clemson Invitational

No word on the double dual meet for the Women’s Rowing team

Softball won the nightcap 11-3

Baseball wins the 2nd 9-5

• I Believe writes:
      April 8th, 20175:22 pmat

The Tigers become only the fifth team in Major League history to win 9 (or more) consecutive opening day games.

Spartans win the nightcap 9-5 over Fresno State.

Twitter rumors abound that Brandon McCoy has committed to Michigan State.

• I Believe writes:
    April 9th, 20177:57 amat

Bryn Forbes scored a team-high 27 points for the San Antonio Spurs Friday night in a 102-89 victory at Dallas. In 29 minutes, Forbes made 10 of 19 shots (4-9 from 3), handed out six assists and snared three rebounds. Forbes became the first Spurs rookie to score 20 points in a half (the first, not garbage time at the end) since Tim Duncan in 1998.

April 9th, 20178:13 amat

So are you saying that he has a future in the League? That’s pretty impressive and not the guy I would have expected to do it of he guys playing (DV would have been my guess preseason)

• I Believe writes:
        April 9th, 20178:21 amat

Bryn has spent a lot of time with Draymond, learning his training regimen, and is a favorite of Coach Gregg Popovich because of his work ethic. Being mentored by Draymond certainly can’t hurt. Hope Bryn remains a Spur. NBA playoffs might be worth watching.

• I Believe writes:
    April 9th, 20178:16 amat

In case you missed it … Denver won the NCAA hockey title last night with a 3-2 victory over Minnesota-Duluth. The Pioneers were led by forward Jarik Lukosevicius, who scored three times in the second period for the first championship game hat trick in more than 20 years.

It was the eighth NCAA title for Denver, tying the Pioneers with North Dakota for second-most all-time. (scUM has the most: 9). Coach Jim Montgomery became the first person to win the NCAA hockey title as a player and a coach (both at Denver).

An excellent game from the drop of the puck. If you get an opportunity to watch the replay, take the time. I certainly hope Mark Hollis was watching to get a grasp on how college hockey should be played and what a championship team looks like.

April 9th, 20171:23 pmat

But like all their championships, most of those were long, long ago

April 9th, 20171:20 pmat

I wasn’t sure, but my daughter talked me into it – Zip Line at the Alligator Farm in St Augustine (and yes you go across the Alligators) photo fell over and can’t get up

April 9th, 20172:48 pmat

like the wave with the gloves. it this one similar in style to those of yours from the F-4?

April 9th, 20178:41 pmat

It was a ton more work just to get to the stations to do the zipping; then they had ‘obstacles’ in between some of the platforms which were moving logs or in one case just a wire to walk on – not good for somebody with not much balance any more. It was a challenge.

April 9th, 20173:10 pmat

Even this old guy has done the zip-line thing. In my case it was also over water but there were no gators.

April 9th, 20171:27 pmat

Norris gave the Tigs 6.1 innings of 2 run ball and turns it over to the BP Wilson gets his 2 batters out and the Top of the Tiger order is now batting

April 9th, 20172:49 pmat

Tigers late inning relief – is not. Lose 7-5.

April 9th, 20171:35 pmat

Let’s see if this flashback posts properly

April 9th, 20172:50 pmat

Those were the days. Back to the Masters.

April 9th, 20172:54 pmat

I’m just not sure Jordan has the mojo any more, but he’s now on the Back 9 on Masters Sunday, so we’ll see…….

April 9th, 20173:13 pmat

Well done! Was this at the 2012 get-together I missed at Beggar’s Banquet?

April 9th, 20176:05 pmat

Yes, it was

April 9th, 20179:46 pmat

Jeff, Daryl, Tom, Mike, Henry, Steve
      Maureen, Rick, Joe

And Art, I believe you planned the dinner, or at least found the place. We’ve been twice, so must be good. Pretty sure we met Jemele Hill here who may have been having a drink with Joe prior to dinner? Seemed like someone else, too, it wasn’t Drew cuz Tom would not let us forget that if it occurred.

April 10th, 20176:05 amat

It was Cris Solari

April 10th, 20176:47 pmat

rings a bell

April 9th, 201710:04 pmat

Can’t understand why I lost my job at the calendar factory. All I did was take a few days off.

April 9th, 201710:06 pmat

This was before my sister used to date a guy with a wooden leg. She broke it off. Has had a hard time getting a date since then.

April 10th, 20179:14 amat

Does your sister know my cousin? Her name is Virginia. They called her Virgin for short, but not for long.

April 10th, 20176:08 amat

GoB those are just awful, but you know that. Wish I’d had those in my repertoire when teaching the little darlings who didn’t want to be taught

April 10th, 20174:30 pmat

TC radio station does a half day of them around April Fools Day. Hundreds were shared there. These the ones I remembered.

April 9th, 20172:51 pmat

And the Wunderkind and General Manager lose a winnable game – BP is terrible and Wunderkind still does NOT know which pitchers to use, even though watching Rondon’s his first outings, he should have known this implosion was inevitable Long year ahead for those of us who rely on them for an evenings entertainment

April 9th, 20173:17 pmat

Those last two innings were the first I have been able to see this entire spring.
      I was not impressed.
      I understand Miggy is swinging and missing a lot in this early season. Those glasses he was wearing today cannot be helping.

April 9th, 20173:23 pmat

Chris, Greg, Mike, Dave & Jeff…
    Thank you for your comments on my g-granddad’s Civil war experience.

April 9th, 20179:42 pmat

the pleasure was mine, amigo.

April 10th, 20177:52 amat

Thank you for sharing. I do so enjoy being able to read everyone’s first hand accounts – whether they are sports related or other.

April 9th, 20179:40 pmat

Spartans swept Fresno State, playing the 3 games up in Grand Rapids due to the Red Cedar overflowing: http://www.msuspartans.com/sports/m-basebl/recaps/040917aaa.html

April 10th, 20179:04 amat

Is it true? Hondo Carpenter thinks so.

Danton Cole to become new Michigan State hockey coach

April 10th, 20179:47 amat

That’s my take: “Report: MSU to hire Danton Cole as new hockey coach” says the sNews.

Some prayers answered?

April 10th, 201712:34 pmat

Assuming it’s true, hopefully recruiting will benefit by his having played in the NHL, coached the Griffins, and most recently and importantly coached the USA Hockey National Team Development Program in Plymouth.

April 10th, 20179:10 amat

It didn’t take long…

Tigers call up prized bullpen prospect Joe Jimenez. Rondon sent to Mud Hens.

• I Believe writes:
      April 10th, 201711:05 amat

Gimme Vaughn …

• I Believe writes:
      April 10th, 201711:19 amat

These may apply to a few TUS members …

April 10th, 20171:48 pmat

I resemble that remark

April 10th, 20176:49 pmat

What does pitch count make you do? Wait, don’t answer that.

April 10th, 20172:51 pmat

Rondon is not an MLB pitcher – all he can do is throw it fast, but never knows where it’s going

• I Believe writes:
    April 10th, 201711:04 amat

Spartan Jim Dewling featured in the April edition of PGA Magazine …

• I Believe writes:
    April 10th, 20172:39 pmat

Michigan hockey coach Red Berenson announced his retirement today. By the numbers …
    • 848 wins (4th most in NCAA history)
    • 2 national titles
    • 11 Frozen Fours
    • A run of 22 consecutive NCAA tourneys (23 total)

Don’t forget, Berenson took the Michigan job at the urging of Ron Mason.