College Basketball National Championship Thread
April 2nd, 2017 by Jeffrey Lubeck

As for college basketball March is over, but maybe not the madness. We have reached the National Championship Final. Today it is the ladies and tomorrow the men.

Other items of note for TUS Membership.

• Guard Tori Jankoska received All-American Honorable Mention over the week for those that missed it.  Hmmm… 15 players better than Jankoska?  Really?
  • The MSU Baseball team lost to Minnesota 9-4 in East Lansing.  The Spartans (15-10) swept by the Gophers (18-8).  I knew Minnesota was good but I truly thought MSU would at minimum take the series and possibly sweep.  Good thing I only bet some of the Marine’s golf winnings and not my own.
  • The Spartan Women’s Softball Team won all three games against Maryland in East Lansing.  Granted Maryland (7-26-1 0-6) is not much this season, but the series sweep is encouraging. MSU (19-11 3-3) has not had a winning season since 2007 and went  winless in the B1G in 2012 (0-23).
  • Going into the last round of the Clemson Invitational MSU’s Womens’s Golf Team stands in fifth place at -1 PAR.  MSU’s Sarah Burnham is 8th overall.
  • Yesterday GoSt8Go successfully completed his first competitive race at the 10K distance (Monument Ave.).  I propose TUS change his name to Run GoSt8Go Run.

Who do you think will win the basketball games?  And what about those Tigers?

NCAAW National Title Game: #2 Mississippi State vs. #1 South Carolina

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

NCAAM National Title Game: #1 North Carolina vs. #1 Gonzaga

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

On Tuesday the Detroit Tigers kick off the 2017 regular season.  How will the Tigers fare?

What place in the regular season standings do the Detroit Tigers Finish?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Do the Detroit Tigers make the Post Season in 2017?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

April 2nd, 20172:26 pmat
      April 2nd, 20172:34 pmat

I ran through Andary’s retirement money last month, so needed to move to you. Next up is GoSt8Go’s race winnings.

April 2nd, 20172:35 pmat

Let me know when you need more, plenty where the last came from

• Grey Dog writes:
        April 2nd, 20179:06 pmat

I am glad to pick the Zags and Juds second favorite team to win it all. If I recall the last time Jeff and I saw NC they beat the snot out of MSU in the final game at Ford field. Jeff called me up on Saturday night after we won nad said he was buying me a ticket and we watched the game. Lousy game but a great time.

April 2nd, 20172:41 pmat

did you say “skoshi”?

April 2nd, 20172:51 pmat

Yes I tried to type skoshi – means little or tiny in the Japan’s

On Okinawa, there is/was an ‘O Club” on Kadena AFB called the Skoshi KOM (Kadena Officers Mess) where we could go in Flight suits to eat – the main Officer’s Mess was coat and tie at least.

April 2nd, 20174:50 pmat

I was thinking “the girl I asked to homecoming said ‘no’ to me, I supposed it was skoshi didn’t like me”

April 2nd, 20172:39 pmat

If you gonna beat UConn you might as well win the whole damned thing.

Zags. They finally broke the hex. It bothers me that NC has been under investigation for at least 5 years. No, I don’t want them to win a title.

Run Go Run, anyone?

April 2nd, 20172:53 pmat

I frequently use the quote ‘stupid is as stupid does” and credit it to another much more famous Tom – So, ‘Run Go Run’ sounds pretty good (RGR)

April 2nd, 20174:51 pmat

I just love runningh.

April 2nd, 20172:54 pmat

Watched the spring game just now.

Interesting to note who wasn’t dressed and not on the sidelines. I understand that only five names fit that bill with LJ Scott having an excused absence.

Can anyone name the other guys?

April 3rd, 20174:34 pmat

No one in the know seems to be talking. I gripe about it below.

April 2nd, 20173:00 pmat

Lewerke made some throws that Capt Kirk and CC made as seniors and TOC NEVER did

April 2nd, 20173:03 pmat
    April 2nd, 20175:28 pmat

It would be a shame to beat UConn in the Final Four ending their reign and not win the NC. Miss. St. will have to pick it up to do that. 36-26 SC at the half.

Go Zags!

It’s a two man race in the TUS bracket challenge between Lubeck and Andary. Jeff is leading by 6 but he’s tapped out. Should Jeff’s west coast team win the championship Doc Andary will win the challenge. Very interesting! : )

April 2nd, 20175:39 pmat

I picked SC to win, but MSST is not out of any game until time is at 0:00 and they have been declared the loser.

I am not sure I have ever made this statement; I hope I lose to Andary.

Disappointed that I picked Gonzaga to win in all in my other bracket and not in this one (chose Villanova over UNC). Such is life.

April 2nd, 20176:20 pmat

That’s going to make tomorrow hard to watch, Jefe`. Beating the Cement Stilettos will be a chore; but lest’s hope they do. Sacrifice personal glory for the betterment of TUS Spirit (do I send the good Doc the loving cup or can I give it to him at the next football game?)

April 2nd, 20177:12 pmat

It will not be hard to watch. I am all about the bigger picture, TUS Prosperity, and excited for my adopted West Coast team (circa 1995). I wore my Gonzaga windbreaker in Richmond with a Spartan Baseball sweat-shirt and Tigers hat.

As for Andary serve him Cold Gruel while smoking a cigar and tell him to “Like it.”

April 2nd, 20176:16 pmat

Well South Kakalaki came through tonight, let’s hope ‘Zags can do it tomorrow

April 2nd, 20178:20 pmat

4+ minutes left in the Warrior game and DayDay needs 2 points for a Triple Double, hmmmm, wonder if he’ll get it.

April 2nd, 20178:27 pmat

Got It! Wow 11Pt 12 RB 13 Ast

April 3rd, 20174:33 pmat

The Warriors are 19-0 when Green notches a triple-double.

April 3rd, 20178:37 amat
    April 3rd, 20171:16 pmat
    April 3rd, 20172:44 pmat

Even MORE encouraging that some of those in power at universities are standing their ground against the evil media that is BTN (hint: Spartans have no night games in ’17

according to the bottom line while watching the Indians get routed by the Rangers: The Friday night BTN games are now down to 4 and more are going away if not all. YEA! Way to go B1G Athletic Departments!

April 3rd, 20174:40 pmat

* I pick Gonzaga to win. I think they, as a team, will offset their inability to produce a strong one-on-one matchup with Justin Jackson(?).

* Insufficient bullpen improvements mean no Playoff for the Tigers. (Subject to change if Tigers average 18+ runs a game.)

* Noah Harvey [OLB, 6’3″, 210#, 3 stars [5.4 Rivals], Hartland, WI] was supposed to be a grayshirt for MSU Football this fall, but MSU decided to put him on scholarship immediately (i.e., this August).

* MSU Baseball hosts EMU tomorrow at 6 PM EDT (a gimme, weather permitting) and Fresno State on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday (a series MSU should win — but do not put heaps of money on it).

* For those wondering if it is it November yet:

April 3rd, 20174:49 pmat

I wish to add to Jeff’s Comments on Saturday’s Green and White Game (a scrimmage, really) and expand into areas beyond the field of play.

After the G&WG, Dantonio said that Mark Snyder is now coaching defensive ends — and that Mike Tressel is coaching linebackers (again). “You have so many run-pass option plays where there’s a run-pass conflict that the defensive ends really start to be coached differently than inside players,” Dantonio said. “So I felt like we needed to go from a 15-to-1 ratio to more of a 7- or 8-to-1 ratio.” (I infer from this that Ron Burton is now coaching only the D tackles.)

Although early enrollee freshman Josiah Scott at CB was the biggest depth-chart surprise of the day, I was also surprised by some of the other starters: Luke Campbell over upperclassmen at RT; Willekes at DE; Owens over Panasiuk at DT; and David Dowell over Grayson Miller at safety. Linebacker TJ Harrell at CB grabbed my attention, too. (There were also some roster swaps between CB and safety, but I am not going to belabor them.)

Coghlin was not kicking off for MSU. Dantonio has frequently used two men for kickoffs and scoring kicks. But Scanlon is a senior with no one in line to replace him next year; it seems to me that Coghlin should be trained for kickoffs over the next 16 months, too. On the other end, Trishton Jackson and Darrell Stewart

were return men in the game, but early enrollees Rison and J. Scott drilled with the returners in warm-ups.
    Of the 71 players in uniform, all played except for Terry — and he is recovering from surgery. It is disturbing, however, that of the 13 players not in uniform and not explicitly identified as injured, only one (Beesley) is a walk-on. (One implication is that MSU was not able to field 22% of its enrolled scholar-athletes on Saturday. Those that saw the scrimmage and were unimpressed should allow for that.)

The scrimmage was not preceded by a coin flip. I did not catch which captain won, but O Captain Brian Allen and D Captain Chris Frey determined choice of initial field sides by a game of rock-paper-scissors.

Crowd attendance was down about 50% from 2016’s estimated 50,000, according to MSU. (I have read reporters’ estimates ranging from 15,000 to 20,000.) Youth camp attendance was also down from 2015-2016 by over a third.

Luke Srodulski has generated a two-deep chart based on Saturday’s scrimmage. It excludes all 15 players not in uniform for the scrimmage:
    Srodulski lists Justin Layne as a WR, but the spring roster has Layne as a “CB/WR”. He has a walk-on as Beedle’s backup; presumably, another starting OL or incoming frosh will have that slot in the fall. He also has a walk-on as Josiah Scott’s backup. DE Bowers — who has three starts — is supplanted by Mufi Hill-Hunt by Srodulski. I do not believe the backup LB allocations will be optimal for MSU in 2017, but they do show that MSU’s 2s and 3s will be talented at LB this fall. (Dantonio said that Shane Jones had been hurt recently; that seems to have influenced Byron Bullough’s having more time at Mike than Jones had. This is not to disparage Bullough: Dantonio said he had a good spring. But I think Bullough would be a better fit at Sam unless he bulks up by a porterhouse or two. Besides, Bullough would have a better chance of starting as Frey’s replacement in 2018 than of supplanting Bachie or A. Dowell at Mike or Star.)

Reporters have implied in passing that ten players were on the sidelines but not dressed for play. Apparently no news outlet wanted to risk a misidentification of any of those ten players, or are otherwise not touching the

injured vis-a-vis suspended question.

Editorial (with some Ranting):
    In his navigation and management of a complex, treacherous, sensitive, and open-ended set of circumstances, I think Dantonio has made only one mistake. He should have handled the suspension information better.

I am furthermore convinced that, in the past, he would have handled it the way I think he should have: With a terse statement last Tuesday announcing the names of all five players temporarily suspended for various unspecified violations of team rules. That would clear eight players from the possible suspicion that they remain under while standing mute on any implication that any of the suspended players did anything illegal — or, for that matter, socially immoral. (For all we know, two of the suspended players are in the doghouse for missing curfew by 10 minutes or oversleeping a class or skipping a meal or not watching enough film.) I find Dantonio’s deviation from his ten-year policy of naming the names of suspended players while keeping circumstances opaque — a policy that would absolve compliant players, censure rule-breakers, and protect the civil rights of those rule-breakers facing possible prosecution — disconcerting. I think he could use a week off from football, and I hope that he can find one soon.

MSU could have closed its spring scrimmage to the public. That would have been easier and better in some ways; notably, it would have prevented Dantonio from painting himself into a corner with his announcement that players beyond those under investigation for possible sexual assault have been suspended. But I now see that, by closing off any public witness of player activity this spring, none of the players would be beyond reach of suspicion and innuendo. By having 70 players play in public and a couple of others visible in other team activities, any doubts about their good names have been dispelled.

And now the media is as much to blame as Dantonio is for doubts about the characters of those eight injured players. More so, arguably: MSU and Dantonio gave a starving media a golden opportunity to practice their craft. Alas, it appears that either no Spartan beat reporter has heard of things like binoculars or telephoto lenses, or that their bosses dare not practice solid, circumspect journalism. Even if all ten players in sweatsuits were not clearly identifiable, surely some of them could have been picked out and noted as being present. That none were — by any news organization — only reinforces my general contempt for “sports reporting”.

With five current suspensions (a number that I feared would be higher) and 11 injured players (which seems like a lot to me!) in consideration, the good morale of this team is heartening. Most of the injuries, I trust, will heal. The suspended players will return or depart in their turn — and, with any luck, few will mimic their lapses in judgment. It remains true that we do not know as much about this team as we should, and I stand by my foregoing critiques of the unnecessary gaps in that knowledge. But we do know more than we did a week ago, and tens of thousands of Spartan fans got a beautiful day to see some football-styled entertainment. May the right things happen — preferably for the right reasons.

April 3rd, 20179:47 pmat

One can only wish Joe Rexrode was still the beat reporter. Not that Joe would have named names…not what I mean at all. Perhaps Joe would have shaped this in a way that others of his profession have not found?

April 5th, 20174:30 pmat

I saw part of a Twitter exchange between Joe and a Primary Suspect. It started with Joe’s implied approval of naming those missing from the sidelines and field. I interpreted his position as one that would also have acquiesced with what the media ultimately decided to do.

And yes, Joe might indeed have developed a different frame (and probably one altogether different from my formulation).

April 5th, 20175:09 amat

Do you honestly believe the handling of the spring game and the sexual assault allegation are being handled in the best possible manner for MSU football?

Or a more inflammatory question for TUS is; If this alleged sexual assault involved Coach Dantonio’s daughter do you think the three suspended players identities would be shrouded in mystery?

It is very disheartening to read TUS members defend MSU’s Football Program’s handling of this chapter in the Coach Dantonio era. The Turtle PR strategy is BS. There are so many contradictions in the handling of this alleged sexual allegations it’s shameful. Curtis Balckwell is publicly named and thrown under the bus, TWELVE MSU football players are also under suspicion … to what, protect the identity of the three suspended players? Coach Dantonio preaches of family culture and is doing everything to protect his players, but how can he not acknowledge that something wrong happened and those players may not deserve protection. Heck, a player transfers when his teammate shags his girlfriend and he calls the player a name and yet other players are under suspicion of raping a co-ed to protect another player? How have I got this wrong?

The public certainly lost interest in MSU Football and I am damn close.

April 5th, 201710:10 amat

I bring this to your attention. Remember… innocent until proven guilty.

April 5th, 201710:46 amat

Seriously? What you just stated is nearly the equivalent of saying OJ Simpson is innocent of murdering Nicole Simpson and Ronald Goldman because he was acquitted in a criminal court. WOW, a hoax article, really? I am disgusted.

April 5th, 201711:29 amat

Hey, man… don’t kill the messenger.
            Proving guilt or innocence in a criminal court has nothing to do with the “Rape Coulter” attitudes of American Campi and how they go about prosecuting such matters, therefore the article I linked carries some weight.
            I am not privy to whatever the heck is going on within the football program. Opining on how Coach D has approached it; he is also well aware of the Duke Lacrosse imbroglio and maybe even the Northwestern frat issue cited above and maybe doesn’t want his players and program judged in the court of public opinion, but will abide with whatever the DA decides.

April 5th, 201710:52 amat

I agree. Another example is the Duke lacrosse rape scandal. It is best for no one if the alleged perpetrators are tried in the public court of opinion. My take is that Dantonio has simply chosen to keep the program low profile while fully cooperating with the investigations. He obviously considers the allegations extremely serious. IMO, a higher profile would generate more questions by the press and social media subjecting the program to increased negative criticism, also in no ones best interest.

April 5th, 20174:00 pmat

Taking your comments in order:

* It should be understandable from what I wrote that I do not — and what (and why) I would have done something differently. More clarification (of things I thought were obvious) is below.

* Probably not — because Dantonio would have either [1] done something to put him at risk of being sued out of his fortune later, or [2] temporarily stepped down (by orders from above, if necessary — and permanently, if necessary) pending dismissal/acquittal/conviction of criminal charges if the accused were suspended but not dismissed.

* The program is not necessarily corrupt. It is under independent investigation. Apparently you have never been mistakenly accused of wrongdoing. But those that have and pay the most for guidance are advised, for sake of survival, to keep their damn mouths shut. There is little that MSU can or should say in regard to what happened in January and February. If the program is exonerated by independent review, will you continue to shun MSU? And what if it is not fully exonerated? Should we not decide how to react based on the degree of MSU employees’/officers’ culpability once it is uncovered by a third party — and not before?

For all we know, MSU employees, officers, and players are unimpeachable. For all we know, there will not be an MSU Football program a year from now and some of MSU’s highest officials might be prosecuted for suborning bribery. Something in between is highly likely; my guess is that there eventually will be criminal charges for one or more players and that Dantonio himself was not involved with whatever Blackwell might have been doing and will remain as head coach.

* Has it occurred to you that it might have been appropriate to suspend Blackwell? Supposing that it was, then — he being a public employee — announcing his suspension without specifying reasons was appropriate. That is precisely what MSU did. We will not be able to judge until the independent investigation is complete whether Blackwell was “thrown under the bus”.

It is THIRTEEN players under potential suspicion from the distance of most observers — including one walk-on. It may be that there were only three suspended players until just recently. If that is so, then Dantonio had to withhold naming the suspended players to protect MSU from defamation of character lawsuits or worse. (I add here that if it were obvious that these guys committed CSC, they would have been arraigned several weeks ago.) But once he made it known that there were other suspensions for unrelated reasons, he could have and should have done what I originally described.

* I recall Dantonio acknowledging that something wrong happened. In case I did not hint strongly enough already: Dantonio calling those guys rapists would be irresponsible at best. (It could potentially hinder defendants’ prospects of a fair trial enough to preclude any conviction. Why risk that?) As for Reschke’s situation: He was not suspended. His departure was driven by his peers’ inability to forgive. The players voted for him to leave. Was Dantonio supposed to kick all the guys that voted Reschke out off the team and keep Reschke? Was he supposed to insist Reschke stay on and brew a increasingly toxic locker room? It was a tragic set of events that could not have been resolved in any better way without intensive indoctrination of Reschke’s offended peers. (Which would probably be illegal.)

* I sympathize with your flagging interest of MSU’s football program. I do hope to write some things about it (looking forward, back, or both) at some point. But not knowing the names tied to the warrants Ingham County has sought (and warrants granted do not mean charges are forthcoming!) understandably clouds assessments of MSU’s fitness.

April 6th, 20174:04 amat

Your reply exceeds my query. Thank you.

First, MSU and coach Dantonio appear to be using two vastly different standards with this alleged assault. A sexual assault you and I recall Coach D having publicly acknowledged the event occurred. Regardless of the outcome in the courts, there is no moral victory here. Acquittal is not a clean slate.

The contradictory standards are: MSU Employees can be named and defamed but student athletes will not be. Also the metrics in determining action are different in enacting “policy” according to MSU AD dept. The MSU Police investigation justified the suspension of both players and staff by the MSU Administration yet Coach Dantonio awaits the Ingham County Prosecutor the identify the players, which requires further evidence to substantiate a warrant for the three players. If the Prosecutor can’t win, well, too bad victim. And, the players only deal with innuendo. That’s wrong.

I was told three names of players “implicated” by this sad event in Early February. I trust the person who took a chance in spreading a “rumor”. The players names mentioned to me are among the 15 who were not dressed, and one exemplifies the ole double standard treatment As time marches on, Coach D protects his family and my respect or admiration for MSU having a clean program is fading fast. It doesn’t matter if one incident occurred or more than one and all incidents never making to trial, acknowledging the occurrence and protecting players is wrong.

April 7th, 20172:51 pmat

Again: I do not recall Dantonio saying that a sexual assault involving his players happened. To say that explicitly would be foolish on several levels. Would you please provide a quote that shows he did that?

He did acknowledge an investigation and implied that something happened. But unless he saw the event or a video of it, he should not name names with respect to a felony. (Why open yourself up to ruinous lawsuits if there are no arrests and you cannot back up claims with video or eyewitness testimony? Would you do that and risk your family’s financial stability? If not, then why expect others to do so?)

MSU said Blackwell was suspended. To my knowledge, it said nothing more. (Please supply a quote if I am wrong.) I am confident that, if he were the target of a CSC investigation but not yet charged, MSU would not say he was the target of a CSC investigation.

The players were “removed from student housing”. That is a damn slight more disruptive than mere innuendo — and especially so for any of them that are innocent. (Not that any are — but how do we know?) Oh, and they were suspended. Missing spring practices will affect these players beyond mere innuendo. (That they deserved suspension is beside the point here.)

Perhaps something is missing due to your perspective from overseas. This is happening in America — and America has laws and legal doctrines. In principle, America errs on the side of sometimes letting guilty people go free in order that fewer innocents are imprisoned. Many people — including many Americans — believe that is wrong. I think it reflects the lesser of two broad categories of wrongs necessitated by human imperfection and am not going to bother with further debate on that principle.

But that does not mean Dantonio should not have named suspended players as I originally described. Furthermore, I would not have objected to Dantonio’s announcing the suspensions of the three players in a timely manner. If you were/are looking for Dantonio to say “X, Y, and Z probably raped someone”, that was never going to happen. But naming players as suspended for unspecified reasons timed in such a way that the public could draw its own conclusions was a judgment call that I would have been okay with.

Having not done so is defensible, too, I think. I defer to what the independent investigations might have to say about that. As for rumored names: The rumors I have seen have generally included LJ Scott. After last Saturday, one would have to believe that he baldly lied to a reporter, and that Dantonio did everything short of baldly lie, for LJ to be one of the three.

(The LJ Scott incident does raise additional questions. Which players can talk to reporters? About what? Is he going to be suspended if he violated a team-rule gag order? Why did Dantonio not stonewall with regard to LJ in a way consistent with that of the other 14 players? On the last, I venture that Dantonio.was caught off guard with the knowledge that LJ talked to a reporter and responded without thinking of the broader implications; he is human, after all. Still, I think he might have been kicking himself about his response afterward.)

April 5th, 20174:49 pmat

Addenda:

* I think at this point that the accused would not be able to return to the team before the start of the season if the case went to trial, even if acquitted. Hard to envision a trial starting before September.

* I think I can split the 13 {{injured} + {suspended}} set into two sets of “less likely” and “not less likely” (to be a target of a felony investigation), but have no time to spell out the reasoning and identities now. Watch this sub-thread. In turn, I will watch this sub-thread for any vociferous objection to the venture.

April 3rd, 20174:55 pmat

Since 2004, the third and fourth top overall seeds have played one another for two National Titles. The fourth overall seed won in 2008, while the third overall seed won in 2015. (Neither such seed has won an NCAAT since 2004; before 2004, overall tournament seeds were not made public.)

Go Canines!

April 3rd, 20177:20 pmat

I will be rooting for Gonzaga. Plenty of reasons to do so but not being North Carolina or coached by Roy Williams is sufficient. Let Roy Boy’s 100th game be memorable as a loss.

April 3rd, 20177:31 pmat
      April 3rd, 20177:31 pmat

What 38 years of eating wheaties will do for you.

April 3rd, 20177:49 pmat

Saw that one afore and laughed then as I laughed this time. from decathlete to ?????????

April 3rd, 20179:00 pmat

Duck Dynasty for the Zags needs to be tougher not just big.

April 3rd, 20179:42 pmat

Cheaters win again.

April 3rd, 201710:39 pmat

Fascinating game tonight.

Even though I win the TUS March Madness Pool for 2017, and Andary loses to me yet again (27 out of 32 years going back to 1985) the victory is hollow. I wanted Gonzaga not UNC to win.

Both teams pushed each other to exhaustion. And exhaustion makes cowards of us.

UNC won on the court – fair and square tonight.

However, it appears UNC’s documented cheating and brazen disrespect for the rules will stay in limbo for ever. So sad,

April 4th, 20174:43 pmat

Congratulations for winning the TUS bracket challenge. Jeff. I realize it was with mixed emotions since you and most of us as well as a majority of college basketball fans throughout the nation wanted Gonzaga to win. But beating Andary in a neck and neck race is, at least, satisfying solace. You two were way out in front. You know how to pick ’em.

April 4th, 20175:12 amat

NC, a program under investigation for what seems like half of a decade, wins another NC. Sigh….this Mens game feels like it’s slowly sinking into the swamp. Love the Spartans, love me some Rams. I really like the model that Mark Few has brought to the game. Uge, bigly kudos to Few for wearing a city, a school and a program that just fits him to a T. Even more, they love him back. NCAA coaches, can you see him now?

April 4th, 20175:48 amat

The Cement Stilettos need to be hammered by the NC$$, but sadly won’t and therefore set the standard for cheating – any other program in any sport can now emulate their academic fraud and get away with it – a precedent has been set. College athletics at the DI level is straying further and further from the path of student-athlete. It’s time for the Presidents to rebel, but I believe they are making to much money to do so.

April 4th, 20176:23 amat

It was an interesting game. Just did not turn out the way I wished. Hopefully the window has now closed for the Asphalt Feet. We can only hope the organization that slapped Tom Izzo’s hand for just appearing to be in the wrong has the guts to drive the stake in the heart of the UNC monster that never seems to die. Funny how the NCAA represents itself as the guardian of the scholar athlete ideal always seems to look the other way when the high profile (ad income generating) programs take large strides over the line.

April 4th, 20177:36 amat

I think if we ever learned of the payola involved we would be flabbergasted at the amounts

April 4th, 20177:34 amat

Rain-out yesterday will allow those of us not in Michigan to watch the Tigers open the ’17 season on MLBN @1410R

1st time in at least 20 years for me

April 4th, 201712:43 pmat

My new favorite CF, Jacobe Jones, just hit a 3 run homer in the 2nd to save JV embarrassment (1st career dinger)

Then my favorite 2nd baseman draws a walk and Nick the Stick hit’s his first of the year 5-1 Tigers the end of 2

Same 2nd baseman adds on with a solo shot top ‘o 4th: 6-1

April 4th, 20172:52 pmat

Legendary Flint Central Coach Stan Gooch Passes Away: http://www.mlive.com/sports/flint/index.ssf/2017/04/legendary_flint_central_basket.html

For Biggie, who likely remembers, and possible knew Coach Gooch.

April 5th, 20175:35 amat

talking head has Miles going to Charlotte – that to me would mean he stays in school as going there would be as bad as going to the Pistons, Bucks, or Minnie