MSU Hockey: Let the Healing Begin
March 21st, 2017 by Jeffrey Lubeck

Coach A has stepped down.  Read it [here].  It has been a long and painful six seasons.  As a point of reference MSU has the least amount of wins of any D1 school during the same period of time.

So where does MSU Hockey go next?  If you were adviser to MSU Athletic Director Mark Hollis what would your three key points for him to consider?

March 21st, 20173:38 pmat

Recruiting 21 year olds

Get a physical Coach

Schedule some cupcakes to begin the next season

March 21st, 20174:18 pmat

This how my TV guide describes tonight’s NIT game: “Sports event, Basketball, Playoff sports, NIT Tournament:”

Not sure what the playoff is for – NIT championship is now a joke

March 21st, 20176:06 pmat

The National Invitational Tournament began in 1938. Below is an image from the 1938 Title game.

Membership please click on the image for additional review. As compared to 2017 college basketball what remains the same and what has changed?

March 21st, 20177:57 pmat

Teedy the Butt is refereeing and the shorts are tiny – like I wore: #21 in your program

March 21st, 20178:30 pmat

Love the shoes!

March 21st, 20178:37 pmat

We had no choice in those days – they gave us the shoes

Did I get your questions correct?

March 22nd, 20176:38 amat

You are a winner!

March 21st, 20178:48 pmat

The caption for the picture reads, “Tight defense forces high pass.”

I read it rather quickly after first observing the photo and the short shorts.~~~ I thought it read, “Tight defense forces high pants.”

March 22nd, 20177:56 amat

That’s very funny

March 22nd, 20175:11 pmat

playing a zone??

March 22nd, 20175:52 pmat

I think you are correct and why Teddy V. is calling a foul as Izzo told it was illegal.

March 21st, 20174:27 pmat

Unusual anecdote. I was in Whitney’s Fresh Seafood Shop in Hudson FL checking out the seafood when the girl (I say girl but she was probably in her early fifties) tending the shop finished with another customer. She came up to me and said, “What happened the other day with our Spartans?” Taken aback at first as the “our Spartans” registered, I asked if she had a connection to Michigan State. She said she was a Spartan alum. Raised in Iron Mountain, 2 years at Grand Valley transferred and graduated from State. The next statement was the capper. She said Tom Izzo was a neighbor and babysat her when she was growing up. She said he taught her a lot of things. I find it incredible that I can travel 1400 miles from MI, walk into a random shop and meet up with someone Izzo babysat 45 years ago. About like wandering around in the Sawtooth mountains and meeting another hiker ( a rare event in itself ) that once had his shot blasted 15 rows into the seats by Greg Kelsor.

March 21st, 20174:28 pmat

I did not seek any elaboration on what he taught her. Probably a lot of bad words she shouldn’t know.

March 21st, 20176:11 pmat

Yep, great story.

March 21st, 20174:45 pmat

Great story HH.

March 21st, 20175:43 pmat

15 rows is being kind. I was thinking about that ball the other day.

Ironically the ball was identified in early March this year. Click on the image to learn more…

March 21st, 20177:49 pmat

Is a sphere that small classified as a planetoid or just space junk as in “Get that junk out of here!”

March 21st, 20178:35 pmat

I only visited the Jet Propulsion laboratory in Pasadena and therefore am not qualified to comment.

March 21st, 20178:50 pmat

Went by there more than once – also the one in Barking Sands (Kauai)

March 21st, 20178:01 pmat

That’s like relating my story to the Navy Grad I played with today about spending an hour or so drinking beer and talking Lacrosse this Chesty Puller LtGen USMC Ret at a Marine Corps Ball in Quantico

March 21st, 20177:54 pmat

Manton Rangers took down Negaunee in the Petosky Quarterfinal 51-49. Going to the Brez Thursday. Only 2 dragons left to slay. Class C starts at 1pm. Manton vs Grand Rapids Covenant Christian and my other team Beecher vs Detroit Edison.

March 21st, 20177:57 pmat

Beecher working on a threepeat and four of the last five dating back to the Monte Morris years.

March 22nd, 20178:07 amat

First trip to the Breslin in 21 years. They lost to Detroit St. Martin DePorres and Al Anagonye. Coach Rene LaFreniere told me a few weeks ago that the guys wanted to try to run with them but they weren’t able. Current coach Ryan Hiller was a sophomore on that team and I am sure he will remember.

March 21st, 20178:11 pmat

RCMB reports TI and the entire team went to the GR Christian game to cheer on Tillman in a game against Livers the weasel recruit. All sat together under one basket.

Tillman – 18pts, 13rebs, 8 blocks & 4asts
    Livers – 11pts, 10rebs

Clark’s ton beat Saginaw by 20.

The MSU basketball firm of Loyer and Tillman is half of the semis

March 21st, 20178:51 pmat

As I said earlier, Tillman won the popular vote, but the other kid won the electoral college

March 21st, 201710:11 pmat

Key points for Hollis to consider:

1. Narrow search to candidates with successful coaching experience.
    2. Proven ability to evaluate talent.
    3. Success putting together a team, both coaches and players.
    4. NHL coaching experience is a bonus in terms of recruiting.

March 22nd, 20176:40 amat

Those are good!

March 22nd, 20178:02 amat

Neglected rwo. Bring back Amo Bessone AND Ron Mason. If there any kids around with the last name of Howe or Miller sign them up NOW no matter how old they are.

March 22nd, 20178:03 amat

Learned last night that the team from Japan in the silly World Championships has been playing as a team in their league since the last time this thing was staged. They put together their all star team (including pitchers) and they have been playing together for 3+ years. How did that work out for ’em? USA plays the Puerto Ricans tonight for MAYBE the USA’s 1st title

And yea, if teams have USA on their jerseys – I watch

March 22nd, 201710:03 amat

sometimes nice guys finish last and anastos is a nice guy. he will be fine. I was against the railroad job given to rick comley from the start. this was six years wasted. don’t know who I would hire. not really a hockey afficianado.

March 22nd, 20172:45 pmat

MSU should consult Scotty Bowman and the Red Wings Devllano, then develop a criterion for selecting candidates.

March 22nd, 20175:13 pmat

I Believeore would pick this guy in a minute: Rod Brind’Amour

March 22nd, 20175:54 pmat

Might even buy tickets and have Amy drive 14 hours north for games.