In Dantonio I Trust (IDIT): This time with meaning
February 28th, 2017 by Jeffrey Lubeck

Members of The Usual Suspects have a history of applying the In [place name here] I Trust (I[]IT) in great volume.

I have made fun of membership about the liberal nature of the application – especially when there is a reasoned case for challenging a Head Coach being put forth – usually by a Bum or persons hailing from New Jersey while sitting in airports.

Michigan State University (MSU), its athletics department, and its football program are in the middle of multiple Sh#t-storms for the actions of staff and players.  As ATLSpartan noted in a comment on the previous Post, Head Football Coach Mark Dantonio issued the following statement as reported in the Detroit Free Press:

“With spring practice beginning last weekend and preparation for a new season underway, I feel it’s important to reinforce the core values and beliefs that have built and defined this program during my time at MSU,” Dantonio said. “Since arriving here 11 years ago, my passion has been to lead a program that fosters a culture of integrity, respect and accountability, both on and off the field. That will never change. I have high standards for the program and expect all of our players and staff to conduct themselves in a manner that reflects the values and principles of Michigan State University. Our goal is to develop young men of character who graduate and make a positive impact on society.”

Many could argue the statement above is a calculated piece of drivel generated by Mitigation Consultants (e.g., Dewey, Chetum, & Howe).  I might agree to a large fractional percent the skeptics are correct.  I also believe that the multiple Sh#t-storms are going to hurt if not ruin a number of careers – possibly rightly so.

However, I also believe, with all his human frailty, Mark Dantonio is the author of the statement above (in spirit or in fact), and is the person I want and trust to be at the helm of MSU football – IDIT.

February 28th, 20176:34 pmat

As it began HERE, I will say that although on occasion I would stray from the path of truth, justice and the American way – over all, I’d say that when applied to the coaches of the 2 revenue sports that IDIT or I3T have been vanguards of the process that was instrumental in the forming of the the present organization that we know and luv called TUS. Without their stewardship and the Hollis/Simon Leadership, we would have never been formed. Our impact on any of their careers since inception has been – how best to put this, without bruising egos – non-impactful. We may grouse and we may holler, but we get what they produce. A past member keeps reminding me that this years basketball team’s inclusion in the Dance is all important – I say popicock. What’s important is producing young men who are ready to go forth and lead Marines or Boy Scouts or State Troopers or medical/communications companies. Izzo will be fine. Dantonio will be fine, the football team (with or without the children who have evidently forgotten how to behave)

March 1st, 20178:41 amat

I can’t imagine MD reading the words someone else wrote if he didn’t believe them. Agree with your popicock. Kids matter, another hat with “20 tourneys” on it doesn’t. I think 84 and 48 would agree.

• LeeBee writes:
    February 28th, 20177:08 pmat

I have always been proud to be a Spartan. Never more; however, than over the last 10 years.

February 28th, 201710:32 pmat

Good points above Jeff and food for thought.

Like USMC and all of us–we must acknowledge (and make you blush yet again) your positive contributions to the formation of this “gang” and its perpetuation.

Whether Dantonio authored his words or not~~~I think he felt and meant them from a pure corner of his heart, rather than regurgitation of mere drivel written by a stoolie. I have too much respect for the man to think he was just repeating a company line. What he said was who he is…or, shall I say; I believe it is who he is…until proven otherwise.

LeeBee~~~You bet!

Tom/USMC~~~~Ditto on your “poppycock” reply to the former member’s over-importance of securing the 20th dance in a row…..Rather, as you point out~~~there is a greater relevance in producing leaders for our national mission to preserve, protect & defend without intolerance.

March 1st, 20174:54 amat

There are plenty of reasons to TRUST Coach Dantonio. He instilled a noticeable change in the MSU ‘s football culture the first season he arrived with a never quit attitude. However… public persona, charisma and PR skills are not on the list of reasons. Coach Dantonio and the AD department fumbled the hand-off from the sexual allegations to spring training.

IMHO Coach Dantonio and MSU Football would not be taking as much flak if statements were made sooner and were more proactive. This heart felt statement would have greater impact if made in PERSON and occurred when announcing the new spring game date changes prior to the first practice.

A press conference was an opportunity lost last week. MSU could have spun how the investigation created regrettable adjustments for the MSU Football Program; the April first Spring Game change and the media’s missed opportunity to cover spring training. MSU could make those changes look proactive. The changes are necessary in the name of compliance. The changes are intended to allow the investigations to run their courses, and prevent speculation and mistakes. e.g. The identity of the suspended players could be mistaken with injured players. Media coverage would also create unnecessary distractions for the team, staff and others in the program. Stating MSU football teams’ behaviour has been very commendable with few incidents over the years and how MSU swiftly acted needed to get reinforced. Can you say too often that MSU initiated investigations in effort for justice to occur, if a crime was committed, and to get closure for all involved – the stuff Dewey, Cheetham and Howe excrete?

MSU’s releasing statements for the head coach or AD doesn’t follow suit with the positive and proactive stance of initiating the investigations. It’s cowardly and kills me that MSU’s journalism and communications school wouldn’t be consulted by the AD Dept.

March 1st, 20178:37 amat

When you have a press conference and basically say the same thing MD stated yesterday, and nothing more, then basically all you really get is a press conference that said what MD stated yesterday, and nothing more. You would have gotten a press conference. Not sure why anyone would expect some revelations to be squeezed out of that.

Do you know for a fact that the journalism and/or communications departments were NOT consulted? Or are you assuming that they couldn’t have since no PC occurred.

My take is you control what you can control, and I don’t believe MSU feels the need to have the media push them into any space while they figure this out.

March 1st, 20179:18 amat

First, Litigation PR is a vital business to manage clients reputations. Studies have shown working with the media to create more balanced, accurate, and less sensational coverage of an investigation is a necessary element in defending high profile defendants” … like MSU. Considering the media have consistently proven over time to support the role of the victim and passively or aggressively attack the accused, how does a press release control the situation?

Second, timing is everything. Saying you are “extremely concerned” two-three weeks into an investigation can be interrupted in many ways; are you concerned because it’s serious allegations, or evidence against MSU is piling up, or the investigation is taking it’s toll on the program?

As for whether the MSU AD Dept acted without console, well how can MSU’s communications, law and journalism schools not be aware of the studies conducted, or not present an effective case for interacting via a press conference with the AD or President Simon? How can the ADMIN ignore these departments or not invite a dialogue with these resources?

March 1st, 201711:01 amat

Totally agree that, in the MEDIA today, one is guilty until proven innocent

March 1st, 201712:49 pmat

Sorry mate, not buying the PC vs. PR comment. When you have nothing else to say and can only answer a live comment with “No Comment”, then why beat around the bush. Yes, I understand the basic concept for staying ahead of public opinion in cases where you can help shape perception when human nature fills the void with demons instead of diamonds. It’s clear to me that MSU is not ready to share.

You didn’t answer my question: how do you know (or any of us) that MSU’s comm and journalism departments have not been approached and provided “counsel”? Just because you didn’t see in the release, nor see signs of it from the Windsor’s of the world, doesn’t mean that tree didn’t fall in the forest.

March 1st, 20172:52 pmat

Agree, and not knowing what’s happening behind the scenes is what is driving folks bonkers. And, while I care about the ULTIMATE outcome, knowing how the school gets there, to me, is irrelevant. Me having an opinion on the process is like some ROTC student or a dance teacher having an opinion on the best way to engage a Mig-21 with only a Aim9L left on board.

March 1st, 20176:53 pmat

To answer your question, of course I do not know if the AD dept did or didn’t ask for or accept counsel from any resource outside their department. However, the department’s actions will infuriate and they’ll need consoling and perhaps some molly coddling as these investigations play out.

March 2nd, 20176:51 amat

??? you got to be kidding me. Now the the AD dept are snowflakes?

March 2nd, 20175:51 pmat

To answer your ???? Snowflakes is your word and not mine. As I started my first comment / critique, I used the ole IMHO qualifier. Coach Dantonio is not a media darling, unless MSU is winning. So, why take such offence to my point of view, GSG?

You object to using sarcasm and humour like molly coddling? Fair play, unfortunately, one former MSU employ has sought counselling. Coach Kagles was reported to be distraught and sought counselling by her lawyer. One of the benefits of counselling is to provide comfort at a time of grief or disappointment, which is pretty darn close to the definition of consoling. My use of consoling is appropriate here.

This Nassar inquiry already had protestors attacking Pres. Simon. Do you think no one else at MSU will be affected by Nassar or football sexual assault investigations? Three football players, Curtis Blackwell and possibly a victim/s, have experienced some disappointment already. I think it will be a miracle if no one else loses their job or scholarship, and if so they’ll probably accept consoling, too.

March 1st, 20174:10 pmat

I am guardedly optimistic that courses of action will be taken in the near-term, so as to facilitate possibly outcomes from yet-to-be determined actionable alternatives identified in a soon-to-be established manner that can be mutually agreeable to all interested parties at a future time.

March 1st, 20177:26 amat

There is a belief, on campuses all over the country, that they live in a “rape culture” and it is from that perspective that everything you see and hear is cast. Ergo, the legal team makes the calls and as anyone who has been involved with the legal world knows, “stick to the plan and say as little as possible” is drilled into all involved from the top down, because in THAT world, one is guilty until proven innocent.

With that back drop, my opinion is we are seeing that in action. Dantonio most likely made the early call to keep the names in house because he has proven himself to be a man who chooses to believe in the people around him – to a fault. That is who he is. It has served him well, and has been his personal bane as well, but that is how he is built.

Until this saga unwinds, we are left with the legal team leading and the resultant stifling of information.

March 1st, 20177:33 amat

That joke about what does one call 100 lawyers at the bottom of the ocean, certainly comes to mind.

March 1st, 20178:22 amat

Would I like information on who, what and when? Sure. Do I trust they will get this right? Yes, as right as you can responding to what appears to be a pretty bad incident. Absolutely ok with this getting figured out in-house while the press knows little. From the political world right now, I’m a bit jaded as to what the press should expect to be told and not told. They would say (and Windsor has said) “we” have a right to know. The press doesn’t speak for me. If I thought MD was a scumbag perhaps I’d feel differently. We know he’s not. I would even go so far as to say I believe MD would choose to make a stand even if lawyers or his administration were getting out of line. This sports program and the Athletic Department and University have been pretty alarmingly in-synch ever since Mark Hollis and Simon came on the scene. It’s not time to abandon that.

In fact, I suggest they be granted the integrity of intent that we would grant ourselves.

March 1st, 20178:31 amat

Good points.

March 1st, 20178:37 amat

Let me add that, while I think Coach D asked (maybe insisted) that MSU allow him to issue a statement regarding his football program, it was most likely vetted by the legal team with each word and clause given close examination and editing by said team and so it looks as if it were written by the lawyers on behalf of the coach. However, I don’t believe that is the case. I think their hands are all over it, but I think it contained the essence of what Mark Dantonio wanted to say, nonetheless.

March 1st, 201712:50 pmat

+1.

March 1st, 20174:00 pmat

I am pleased at the responses so far – at least to a middling level.

With that in mind… on my next post I will try to categorize two topics for discussion. The different levels of: 1.) The Public Relations Press Release and 2.) Trust.

March 1st, 20174:16 pmat

Breaking news: Will Miles Bridges return? WLNS Sports anchor, Fred Heumann might have some insight:

March 1st, 20175:19 pmat

I side with exercising care with the media. I have some personal experience with this. I was the Beecher Schools Central Office administrator in charge while the Superintendant and Assistant Superintendant were away attending meetings on February 29, 2000 exactly 17 years ago. I took the call from the Principal of Buell Elementary reporting the shooting and death of a student. Within 20 minutes the media, local and national were landing choppers and driving trucks on the school lawn interfering with the police and efforts to evacuate the students to a church across the street. Within that same period of time with little or no information the media were already deciding what “the story was going to be” and broadcasting it to the world at large. If you want to see what modern journalism does to the truth just look at the Wikipedia for the Beecher School shooting. The description of the incident cites media references that are factually incorrect, wrong place, wrong time, and the shooter never said anything to the girl. It was in the classroom early in the day as the class was preparing to go to the library. He pulled the gun from his desk when the teacher stepped into the hall, pointed it around and pulled the trigger. He was genuinely surprised at the result of his action. He left the room, walked to the Principal ‘s office and told her he had done something wrong.

Simon, Hollis, Dantonio have to be careful. Their words will be twisted, distorted, taken out of context “to fit the narrative”. They are d**mned if they don’t have a press conference and are being d**mned for not. Journalism that sought only seek the facts and pursue truth has become The National Enquirer, Pravda, and Izvestia.

• LeeBee writes:
    March 2nd, 20176:04 pmat

Looking at ESPN braketology, if seeds stand, I predict B1G goes 2 and 7 this year.

• LeeBee writes: